This is driving me crazy :@

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anthrax

This is driving me crazy :@

Post by Anthrax » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:18 am

hey ppls, this is my first post to silentpcreview, and i'm almost going crazy on what to get for a Silent puta.

right now i ahve a generic case, generic psu ( loudest in the system) 2000+, gigbyte mobo, ti4800se(second loudest in case) and a 120gig seagate.

i was looking at the Sonata, but i hear ppl are saying that the PSU isnt as quiet as it could be, i want the psu to be ALOT quieter, if i stop the fan on my PSU( 300watt is fine) i can live with the sound the rest of the cumper makes.

i live in australia, so i only have access to

Antec cases, Thermal take Cases, aopen cases, amd coolermaster cases,

and i only have access to antec psu, theraltake psu, Enhance psu, and some genric ones.

i have acces to $250 australian dolloars, and a Sonata is $200

i dont like the look of the Sonata and what ppl say about the PSU, so i'm thinking of creating my own Case/psu combo

1 . Antec 1000AMG, and a PSU that has 1x 120mm fan ( are these the quietest ? ) will the psu be quiet in this case ?

2. Antec 3700 (i think) and PSU that has 1x 120mm fan - i dont like the look of this case either

3. Someone give me that lian li silent case for free :)

if u guys can help, it would be awesome,

thx in advance

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:38 am

80mm fanned psus are considered quieter than 120mm psus. And the intake should be on the opposite side of the unit, so that it is possible to create a fresh air duct. Suckinghot air from cpu to psu is not good.

I am quite sure you get annoyed to the sound level of your system after the psu is silenced. You said you could live with it, but i guess you couldn't try for long times because you can't stop the psu fan for long times because of overheating. In a short time it only feels that it's more quiet but in the long run you probably still get annoyed about it ;)

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:05 am

Howdy Anthrax. Normally we welcome folks to these forums but with a nic like that ... :lol: (Well, I guess relatively you are more welcome than Ricin!)

One place to start could be the list of Aussie vendors located here. And based on your budget constraints I figure you can gain more by working on the noisy psu & gpu first rather than going for a 'sexy' case up front. After you have hacked out your own fan grills, tried to build some ducts and soft mount your hdd in your existing case you will get a better feeling for what you really want in a new case.

Anthrax

Post by Anthrax » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:06 am

hahah, u guys rule thx for the info, i think i might give the case a miss for now, but is the Zalman 300watt quiet psu, a good psu choice ? i currently use a 300watt generic psu so i dont need the power. does it work well quiet wise ?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:22 am

Not everyone agrees with me, but I think the Sonata PSU is fairly quiet, quieter than the average PSU. The Sonata uses a special 1 fan version of the TruePower 380. But if you are obsessed about a quiet PC or looking for absolute silent, then there are better (and more expensive choices).

I recently purchased a Sonata, but I admit that I was influenced by the $40 rebate off the regular $130 USD price. I don't regret the purchase and am very satisfied with the low noise level. I did beef up the drive tray suspension with some extra foam that I explained in another thread.