"Quiet" HSF review

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quokked

"Quiet" HSF review

Post by quokked » Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:26 pm

Datafuse http://www.datafuse.net/hsf-roundup.php here have reviewed 4 "quiet" (he didn't do any noise testing) HSF's the Gladiator 2 SE, the Zalman CNPS3100-GP and the CNPS6000- Cu and the OCZ Glacier heatsink. I'm personally a fan (no pun intended) of the uFin heatsinks like the OCZ range the Al ones are nice and light and perform very well and the Cu one's perform very well.... what's your guy's opinion on silent Heatsink reviews that DON'T include noise readings, like sheesh it's a JAHR (just another heatsink review) if u don't do noise readings these days. :)

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Wed Oct 30, 2002 11:41 pm

Not impressed with the review at all. Yup, the lack of sound measurements is a disappointment. The reviewer didn't take the time to list the specs like cfm, weight, etc. I think he got the name of the copper OCZ HS wrong in the writeup too... it it the gladiator or the goliath?

And there's no way a 6000rpm 60mm fan is quiet on that glacier!!!!

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:39 am

yeah, maybe his hearing is shot to heck from the 8000RPM delta's he's been running :)

Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Quiet" HSF review

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:30 am

quokked wrote:what's your guy's opinion on silent Heatsink reviews that DON'T include noise readings,
I agree with you in that a lack of noise readings limits the value of an article. However, keep in mind that accurately measuring noise is Really Hard, especially when you start getting into the <30dB range. That's why Mike had to go to great lengths to try and find a way to start measuring things accurately.

Just to keep things in perspective.

--kurt

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:37 am

Dammit! I hate perspective.