laptop style keyboard recommendations and feedback

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:07 pm

Pgh wrote:I replaced an Enermax Aurora with the Logitech. The Logitech was a big improvement.
The Logitech Illuminated seemed to have received more marks here than the Enermax Aurora. I am trying to understand this better.

Logitech Illuminated uses a trade-marked "PerfectStroke" system for keys instead of the standard laptop scissors mechanism. Here is a bit of explanation about it:
PerfectStroke is designed to create longer key travel – 3.2 mm compared to 2.2 mm – than that of typical notebook keyboards; as a result, the distance your fingers have to travel to activate a key is optimized for your comfort.
http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles ... n39272149/

Could it be that the SPCR'ers writing here prefer the longer key travel as opposed to the shorter key travel of the laptop keys?

Uday

reddyuday
Patron of SPCR

Post by reddyuday » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:29 am

I have now tried both the Logitech UltraX and Illuminated. I have put my feeling on the Illuminated in thread with its name. Here is my take on the UltraX:

Pro:

- Decent keystrokes, not spectacular, but much better than normal desktop keyboards. (The Illuminated keyboard's keystrokes are much softer and quieter than this one.)

- Standard keyboard layout. (Shouldn't one take it for granted? But apparently not.)

Con:

- Metal surface gets chilly in the cold weather. (A contributor to RSI.)

- No wrist pad/palm rest, but I could fix it by going out and buying one.

- The keys are a little bit slippery, not the best of materials.

- The keyboard is a bit flimsy. Hitting the keys bends the keyboard slightly and the bounce-back hits you as you type the next key, if you are typing fast enough. Contributor to noise as well as finger strain.

All in all, I find it to be a cheap keyboard, definitely worth the money it costs and perhaps more. But I don't find it good enough to keep me company for 10 hours a day.

Cheers,
Uday