Filter material for PC front

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

glas

Filter material for PC front

Post by glas » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi,

I noticed that bout my Dell 310 and my

are rather "open" in the front. I was hoping to put in some filter material.
Has anyone done that? I found this with google:
http://www.purapc.com/store/PuraPC_filters.html
It can be cut to size. Has anyone used it? Or something similar?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:25 pm

You could use a pleated filter - greater surface area but perhaps a bit harder to set up.

silchris

Post by silchris » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:31 am

Far and away the best material I found is the tri-stage replacement pads for WEB filters at your home center. It's black in front (side of air intake) and has two more blue layers of very light but denser materials that trap finer particles. I bought one sheet of this material for less than 10 bucks years ago and I've been cutting small chunks to size for both intake (front of PC) and exhaust (rear fan, usually 92 mm or 120 mm) on all our PCs.

I get fantastic filtering which protects the innards of OUR COMPUTERS WHICH HAVE ALSO BECOME DE FACTO HOUSE AIR FILTERS, and very good ones at that because whatever dust, pollen and allergens that float around are trapped (confirmed by many pollen-sensitive people who have come by our house.)

To attach the filters to a fan or to a case, I simply attach the "toothy" part of a 1/4" velcro sticker to the fan or case and the blue side of the flitering pad "grips" it as if it were designed for it. Simple and works very well.

This filter material is washable and last 2-3 years, then you just cut another one and stick it in there. I wanted to post a link for your convenience but wasn't allowed to, so...

just google

WEB replacement pad

at

HomeDepot DOT com

Hope this helps.