ecc memory chat

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

ecc memory chat

Post by colm » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:26 pm

I decided to go back to 2gb just to turn on ECC, and leave my other 2gb -non-ecc on ebay.

875pbz, intel prescott 3400..getting old, but some hellacious priceless values. I am old school anyway.. I even stop windows like win98 from loading unnecessary stuff, beyond services shut down that I do not need.
I also compile my own TCL binaries, love the scripting language with tk.

I had some questions..
Is it my imagination or are my photos different?
(I take my own pictures) there is something very deep when the rules play out for decent shots.. it is noticable by my own eyeball.

I left off with ecc like alot of manic gamers and forgot why I wanted it.. the editing is suposed to be a sure thing, long lasting for videos/music/compiling binaries/photos..so I decided to reel in some years with an 875pbz.

I also tcl script and something happened in a large list search differently, it used at least 4 times less memory than my other 2gb non-ecc.. is it really finding something transparently? and it is the same speed as my other memory.

I am in windows 7 and read about WHEA, I can even log if ecc does something to correct.. but I do not want to.

anybody else stay with ECC system memory and why?
how are the new xeons and ecc going?