Temps

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Haych

Temps

Post by Haych » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:29 am

I've noticed recently that my temps have changed slightly, though I can't figure out why. The temps in question are the system/MB and the HDD. While there's been nothing overly dramatic with the rise, and they are both still acceptable, it's kind of bothered me. The system has increased by 2-3*C, and the HDD by 3-5*C. I've checked for dust and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Fan speeds are the same as ever. I haven't added any new components. Could it be the sensors on the board maybe?

On the same topic, I installed a copy of Everest Ultimate a few weeks ago and noticed that the CPU temp it gave was significantly different to Speedfan's. I didn't think too much of it because my CPU is a Brisbane, and they were notable for their fruity temps. But just for shits and giggles I decided to install a couple of other monitoring programs to see what their readings were. I took a screen shot of them all running at the same time. Any idea as to which is giving a correct reading?

Additionally, could someone let me know if the voltage readouts are okay? I'm not sure whether they are acceptable or not and a lot of the info regarding voltages just goes right over my head (which is why I read the PSU reviews on here and JohnnyGuru :lol: )

datapappan

Re: Temps

Post by datapappan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Are your room temps the same?
Is the air flow blocked/impeded around the case?

/ d

Haych

Post by Haych » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:52 pm

datapappan wrote:Are your room temps the same?
Is the air flow blocked/impeded around the case?
Room temps are the same. The only time I've noticed it return to normal temps via room temp was recently when it was below 0*C outside and I didn't have the heater on. Airflow is as normal. I'd wondered if because the drive is running warmer than usual, that warmer air was being blown into the case, but that would still pose the question 'why is the drive running warmer?' I've ran surface scans on the drive and checked the S.M.A.R.T. readings and everything seems to be fine there.

I'm seriously thinking that maybe the sensors are giving bad readings. While playing a new game the other day, my PC would restart every time I got to a cutscene. The game had ran fine prior to that day, so I decided to do a log of the temp reading on Speedfan to see if overheating was the problem. I don't think it is, though according to the log, my CPU got up to 83*C and the Northbridge peaked at 110*C. I realise the Northbridge on my board gives a messed up reading to start with, but it's never gone that high before. What makes me think it wasn't overheating causing the problem is that I got a log for while I was playing Left 4 Dead 2, and the temps got just as high, yet the computer didn't restart. I'm pretty sure that if those temps were accurate, my CPU at the very least would have fried by now.

As far as I can tell, the GPU is running at normal temps and gets up to 55*C max while gaming. And even if the GPU was putting out more heat than usual, I don't think that would account for why the HDD is running warmer.

I'm completely baffled as to what the hell is going on.

datapappan

Post by datapappan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 am

I'd guess the restart is due to overheat, possibly caused by heatsinks not having enough contact. Have you moved the cased recently, so the heatsinks could have gotten out of place?

(You should think hard about if anything has changed recently, ande see if the cause could lie there. Maybe there's a hardware failure showing up - tried moving the PC to another room? Have you got spare parts you could interchange, i.e. CPU, RAM, PSU etc?)

/ d

Haych

Post by Haych » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:17 am

I know the restart wasn't caused by heat, because I researched the issue and there were other people on the Steam forums that had the same problem with the game. I'm guesiing it was just a particularly poor port of the game over to the PC. I will check the heatsinks, and I'll put some fresh thermal paste on. Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts beyond fans I don't use. I could, however try hooking up the other front fan again as it's only using one at the moment. I'll need to get a couple of Arctic Cooling F8 PWM fans first though. I'll run memtest86 as well just to rule out RAM as an issue.