Silent cabinet - How to

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trembl27

Silent cabinet - How to

Post by trembl27 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:09 am

Hi!

I have a nice quiet PC thanks to all your advices but now I'm starting to look for a HTPC.

However, that HTPC would be in a cabinet with glass doors and NO ventilation whatsoever. The panel in the back could be cut out for fans but there is no way my wife lets me remove it or remove the doors...

So, do you have any recommendation on computer case ( I've read some reviews here but advices are always great ) and also a way of ventilating the cabinet?

I've searched a bit on google and I found some USB fans

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090595.html

Also, do you have any idea on how I should setup the fan(s) ? ( Like both pull or push, or push pull in opposite corner of cabinet... )

My "pre-build" should look like a Core I3, maybe a fanless video card and PSU so I guess the case will need good ventilation.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Arbutus

Re: Silent cabinet - How to

Post by Arbutus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 pm

I would recommend that you improve the ventilation of your cabinet even if a HTPC is not added to the heat load.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:41 pm

How about drilling the bottom of the cabinet ? With something sitting above the holes (your HTPC :mrgreen: ), it will not be noticeable. That'll give you a intake... You'll need an exhaust too that's for sure...

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:15 pm

RE: "do you have any recommendation on computer case"

My HTPC is in a mid-tower case and sits on the floor to the left side of the TV-Media cabinet. The sub-woofer sits on the floor on the right side. I would have preferred a smaller cabinet, but my system is a "second hand rose". If I were buying new I would probably still use a floor standing case.