Windows 10 causing Hardware noise?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Deer87

Windows 10 causing Hardware noise?

Post by Deer87 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 am

Hey ppl,

I tried upgrading my newly buildt pc from win7 to 10 this weekend, and the first thing i noticed was that my pc now emits an occational mechanical tick. I have still to locate its origin, but i have a gutfeeling that its the PSU or HDD. it sounds like a switch clicking on and off.

I have reverted to win7, but it has not solved the problem. Have any of you had similar experiences?

I know i should put some effort into locating the source of the ticking, but I havent gotten around to it, yet. I will post when i know.

These are my components:
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Mobo: ASUS Z97I-PLUS
CPU: i5-4690k
GPU: ASUS GTX660-DC2OCPH-2GD5
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3-1866 HyperX FURY
SSD: Samsung 250 GB Evo
PSU: XFX XTS 460 Platinum Fanless
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
HDD: WD Green 2 TB

Im sorry if this count as a double post, but i had a feeling that the old win 10 thread was pretty dead.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Windows 10 causing Hardware noise?

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:06 am

Try to locate the sound. A tube of some sort, like a toilet paper roll can be helpful to do that.

It might be that WD Green and its head park feature. When idle for 8s the HDD park its heads to save power. It's fine in most cases, but sometimes the OS is doing something with the disk (for no good reason most of the time..) and the HDD unpark the heads and then after 8s parks them again and so on. It's possible you can disable the head park feature with a tool called wdidle3.

Deer87

Post by Deer87 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:39 am

I found the culprit, and it is rather embarrassing.
It was hardware, but not any of my PC hardware. Instead it turned out to be the Power Saving Extention Chord...
It was placed next to the PC, so I only discovered it when i put the PC on the desk to pinpoint the noise.

I do feel rather stupid now :oops: but problem solved.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:17 pm

It happens to us all. :)

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:43 am

Ah yes, the PC noise that wasn't. A few months back my PC had developed a low thrumming noise that would appear intermittently. When I put my head next to the case it didn't really seem to be any worse, but my general feeling was it was definitely some sort of by vibration or resonance that had appeared at random.

Long story short; it took me about 3 days to figure out that it was my neighbors extractor fan (from a small internal bathroom) that has been running for extended periods due to some decorating work they were having done.

At least your PC noise was nearby; mine was in a different property. You might was I wasn't thinking outside the box. :mrgreen: