Pls suggest a temperature measuring tool

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trodas

Pls suggest a temperature measuring tool

Post by trodas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:53 am

Guys, my MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G card is weird, it reporting about 53°C under load (gamning), 63°C FurMark:

..but at that moment I cannot keep my finger on the heatpipes (I can for 3 seconds and something, then it become to be exponencialy more painfull with time and I'm not that big masochists to push for more when it really hurts...), hence they are probably at 70°C or more...

That translate to the fans not spinning much at all. Not even during gaming or 3D benching. When run 3DMark 03, the fans spin first only in the end of the Troll liar bench (3rd one) and keep very, very slow. Unaudible. Yet IMHO the card is overheating, so I will modify the cooling.

But since I was asked yout this on MSI forum and I get told, that "The issue is only in your head. There is no problem nor overheating."
...then I come to conclusion that I need tool to measure temps.

I tried my ThermoTrace infrared thermometer model 15030 on the heatpipes and at best it show 45°C.
But the catch is, that on round shiny objects it is usually misleading... and also 45°C cannot be unbearably painfull to hold, even for prolonged periods of time.

So I touched my CPU cooler (Noctua NH-C14S) heatpipes (very close to the CPU, on the bottom, near the CPU socket) and quess what - they are very cold, compared to that. Almost freezing... okay, just kidding. They colder that my fingers after post and mildly warm after 15min of gaming. I would say 40°C at best.

I cannot understand, why heatpipes on 50°C CPU are cold, while heatpipes on 53°C GPU are burning hot. That is all.

The CPU and GPU temps are roughly same, yet the difference of heatpipes temps is like night and day, so I continue to maintain that my card IS overheating and the sensor on it is off by at least 30°C. Witch is why the fans are mostly not even spinning... Could that be?
(I see a reason for MSI to show low temps there to get low /zero noise profile...)

So... what measurment tool come with at least two (maybe measuring room temperature while testing will be a good too?) sensors that I can stick (duct tape) on the heatpipes to get a readout from them that you guys would recommend?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Pls suggest a temperature measuring tool

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:08 am

You would not be able to touch something that's 70C for too long. Not for several seconds.

Maybe the sensor is a little off, but not by too much I think. Comparing to your CPU is a bit tricky, reported temperature is less important than heat output (TDP) and die size.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:41 am

Maybe something like this
http://www.temperaturelabels101.com/
You could wrap one around a heatpipe. :)

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:44 am

I'm not sure if comparing a GPU and CPU heatsink is of much value, considering how different they are. CPU heatsinks are generally quiet a big bigger, and will do a better job of dissipating heat due to size and design.

GPU heatsinks have much less mass, so you'd expect them to get hotter and rely more of fan RPM above certain temperature thresholds.

Personally, it would never occur to me to physically touch any heatsinks in a PC while the computer is switched on. Unless you have a clear point of reference that tells you that the GPU heatsink should not get hot to the touch, how do you know that it's not operating as intended? Is the computer misbehaving in some way?
Last edited by Quinnbeast on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 am

if your heatpipes are hot to the touch under load, it means.....

... they are working as designed.

you are making an issue out of nothing.