It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:24 pm 

loty1825 wrote:
The frame and mounting holes look different on PH-F140TSl. It's odd that it has 3-pin header and PWM control. How can a fan be PWM controlled with just 3-pins?

The PH-F140TS is a 1200 rpm voltage control fan. There isn't any PWM control, the 'PWM functions' seems to be a claim that fan speeds can be varied like PWM control. Not a very good choice of wording considering that what you actually get are two resistor cables offering fixed but lower speeds than 12V.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:40 pm 

Great test!
Quick question: How did you get your fan xpert to start the Noctua P14s at so low speed? I've got a Maximus Impact and my fan xpert won't detect any lower startup speeds than apx 650 rpm..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:59 am 

gromitee wrote:
Great test!
Quick question: How did you get your fan xpert to start the Noctua P14s at so low speed? I've got a Maximus Impact and my fan xpert won't detect any lower startup speeds than apx 650 rpm..
On all asus motherboard i have tested, on the initial boot, the fans speed up to whatever the bios is setup to in the Fan Control, after windows loads then fanXpert2 should enter, so in essence fanXpert2 never starts up the fans from 0, he just recieves them from whatever the bios ran them through the booting process. Try to increase the speed of that header on the bios, to garantee you reach your 650rpms you need for the fan to start, so when it enters windows it should sustain the speed.

GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm 

Abula wrote:
gromitee wrote:
Great test!
On all asus motherboard i have tested, on the initial boot, the fans speed up to whatever the bios is setup to in the Fan Control, after windows loads then fanXpert2 should enter, so in essence fanXpert2 never starts up the fans from 0, he just recieves them from whatever the bios ran them through the booting process. Try to increase the speed of that header on the bios, to garantee you reach your 650rpms you need for the fan to start, so when it enters windows it should sustain the speed.

Not sure if I follow you.. Looking at the attached picture I get "Fan running when power is higher than" 606RPM while the reviewer gets 211RPM with the same fan(http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/fans-2013-140a/rpm-noctua-p14.png).. I was wondering how he achieved that. Settings? Lucky sample?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:37 am 

Abula wrote:
gromitee wrote:
Great test!

IIRC correctly, that test runs the fans from 100% (PWM) downwards until they stop. In this case at 20%. So you could test to that speed, but probably not start them there. And then use BIOS & Windows to start at 50% and pull it down to 20% for idle.

I'm running Linux now, or I'd just try it on my 3770K Maximus IV Gene. Although, apparently the only true PWM connectors on ASUS boards are CPU_FAN and OPT_CPU.

- samwisekoi