Quiet ATX Gamer, R5 Version

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
quest_for_silence

Re: Quiet ATX Gamer, R5 Version

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:45 am

Mackan wrote:1) Is it safe to say that with the right components, the R5 case would be the most quiet build possible?

No: but it will be among the quietest.

Mackan wrote:2) When you talk about 14dB SPL, is that basically inaudible?

Broadly speaking, no: in the middle of the night I am able to clearly perceive things like this, which is rated 12dB. But you'd better define "basically".

Mackan wrote:Is there any mATX or minITX build/case that can compare with this R5 build, in terms of noise?

No, at least, nothing as small as a Sugo SG05 (whether we're talking about high power discrete graphics). Take note that the Sugo SG05 has been reviewed by SPCR a while ago.
And take also note that mostly depends of the enclosure placement (to say, right on the desk, at 30cm from your nose, even an R5-build might be heard).
Maybe something like a Define Mini or a Nanoxia DS4 could be among the quietest options available, as well as the R5, but they are just a tad smaller than an R5, nothing serious.

Eventually: a nice sound signature is way more important than the unobtainable physical inaudibility, the right signature let a build noise to disappear. Hope this helps.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:11 am

Most of spcr's dpl measurements specify distance, and 1 m is the standard for most. Keep in mind that distance changes both measured and perceived sound amplitude. 14 dba at 1m is extremely quiet, but the same noise will sound quieter, about 11~12 dba from 2m distance.

To answer your first question, yes, it's hard to conceive of a fan cooled system with this kind of computing power made to run any quieter. You'd almost have to go fanless to get any quieter.

Mackan

Post by Mackan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 am

quest_for_silence wrote: No: but it will be among the quietest.
Do you have any favourite "silent" case yourself?
quest_for_silence wrote: Broadly speaking, no: in the middle of the night I am able to clearly perceive things like this, which is rated 12dB. But you'd better define "basically".
Thanks for this reference. I too, can hear humming 2.5'' portable drives once you start to listen carefully, and it gets quite annoying fast, I have to say. But I have no point of reference for how a modern case sounds today, because I have been on a laptop for many years. Now looking to build a desktop again, and would like to be as silent as possible.
quest_for_silence wrote: No, at least, nothing as small as a Sugo SG05 (whether we're talking about high power discrete graphics). Take note that the Sugo SG05 has been reviewed by SPCR a while ago.
And take also note that mostly depends of the enclosure placement (to say, right on the desk, at 30cm from your nose, even an R5-build might be heard).
Maybe something like a Define Mini or a Nanoxia DS4 could be among the quietest options available, as well as the R5, but they are just a tad smaller than an R5, nothing serious.

Eventually: a nice sound signature is way more important than the unobtainable physical inaudibility, the right signature let a build noise to disappear. Hope this helps.
Agree about nice sound signature. I have also checked out that SG05 review by SPCR. Ideally, I would prefer a small mITX case, but I understand that isolating the GPU noise is almost an impossible task then. For SG05, a SFX-L PSU, and a silent 120mm front fan will probably be a good start. But probably not enough, and then the GPU remains.

The computer I plan to build will indeed by on my desk, to the right, about 50cm from me. :)
MikeC wrote:Most of spcr's dpl measurements specify distance, and 1 m is the standard for most. Keep in mind that distance changes both measured and perceived sound amplitude. 14 dba at 1m is extremely quiet, but the same noise will sound quieter, about 11~12 dba from 2m distance.

To answer your first question, yes, it's hard to conceive of a fan cooled system with this kind of computing power made to run any quieter. You'd almost have to go fanless to get any quieter.
Yeah, after a lot of research I am fairly confident that a R5 build would be among the quietest available. There is also the Define S, that would seem more ideal with 3 fans in the front. However, there is less data to go on there since everyone seems to be using it for water cooling only. I've seen your review of it as well, and read the forum thread, but wasn't as conclusive to me.

Really thankful for your replies guys.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:08 am

This is about as far as you can go for a generic answer. We'd really need to know the heat load/component build to optimize a build for quiet/silent computing. A system with only SSDs and integrated graphics is different then, say, an SLI gaming build or an HDD farm. Feel free to start a build thread.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:32 pm

MikeC wrote:You'd almost have to go fanless to get any quieter.

But (you know far better than me) I've yet to heard a fanless rig free of electronic noise, particularly at close distance.

Mackan wrote:
quest_for_silence wrote: No: but it will be among the quietest.

Do you have any favourite "silent" case yourself?

Probably I wasn't enough clear.
My point is that, providing the same components are used, you don't need necessarily the R5 (as the R5 isn't the only one which is able to achieve a similar goal): as a matter of fact there are some our co-forumers which didn't like the Fractal fans (highly praised by our reviewers) and preferred to swap with others (often the Phanteks ones).
But, on the other hand, the R5 is a proven solution, which make a quiet build easier. About the quality, it depends of the enclosure solidity and (probably, mainly) of the fans signature.

Mackan wrote:But I have no point of reference for how a modern case sounds today, because I have been on a laptop for many years. Now looking to build a desktop again, and would like to be as silent as possible.

It's slightly higher, the closer the distance, the higher the pressure level.

Mackan wrote:I would prefer a small mITX case, but I understand that isolating the GPU noise is almost an impossible task then. For SG05, a SFX-L PSU, and a silent 120mm front fan will probably be a good start. But probably not enough, and then the GPU remains.

I think your idea isn't that sound.
Set aside the inferior cooling prowess and the higher noise floor of the SG05 (compared to the R5: for instance, it's able to mount only a much smaller CPU cooler), the only SFX-L platform available is not enough quiet to reach a 14-16dB SPL / 1m with the GTX 980 power draw (like the R5 build did).

But as Steve said, more probably that not you'd better opening a brand new thread in the appropriate forum section.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:38 am

dmitch wrote:Quick update for those with access to the german market: A modified version of this case (called Fractal Design R5 PCGH Edition) is available:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/E-Commerc ... n-1164140/ (german)

According to the description, these are the modifications:
  • the top of the case is now solid steel, removing the opportunity for three three top-mounted fans
    the fan mount in the side panel is removed
    the whole interior is black (fans and hdd cages are white in the standard version)
    one additional fan in the front
    status LED is white instead of blue (blinking blue when there is hdd activity)
While they did not state this explicitly, the fans (see gallery) seem to be identical to the standard ones (except for colour). Retail price is about 100€. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose this might be a good fit for people which can't decide between an R5 and a Solo II.
Oh, I would be very interested in that case as I have no plans to use top or side fans. The extra front fan would be nice too. I don't see that it is available in the USA, however.

I'm planning a new build, probably with the R5 available here in the USA. If I remove the middle 5 HDD cage and keep 3 hard drives in the bottom front cage, won't I need an extra fan to cool them? I see that there is closed cell foam over the bottom front section as shown in the 3rd photo from the top: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page3.html

I still love my original Antec Solo which I am currently using. It still looks new and has a never broken power button. I like the size of the Antec better and thought about rebuilding in that case, but this will be my first self build. I thought that if I had trouble or got hold of a bad component that had to be sent back, it would be better to still have a functioning computer in the meantime. I also thought that the cable management might be difficult for me in the Antec Solo since it is my first time. With the Fractal, I'll get SSD holders, and USB 3 ports on the front, though neither of these is that significant to me. (I've ruled out the Solo II, by the way).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:53 am

If I remove the middle 5 HDD cage and keep 3 hard drives in the bottom front cage, won't I need an extra fan to cool them?
Depends on what else is in the case. Big gaming gfx card? Then, perhaps yes. Otherwise, probably not.
I see that there is closed cell foam over the bottom front section as shown in the 3rd photo from the top: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page3.html
That was a modification by the reviewer. As mentioned in the caption:

"One minor change was a piece of closed cell foam to block the intake vent below the single front fan so that the fan would only draw air in from outside the case. The filter/grill was put back on afterwards."

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:38 am

CA_Steve wrote:
If I remove the middle 5 HDD cage and keep 3 hard drives in the bottom front cage, won't I need an extra fan to cool them?
Depends on what else is in the case. Big gaming gfx card? Then, perhaps yes. Otherwise, probably not.
I see that there is closed cell foam over the bottom front section as shown in the 3rd photo from the top: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1422-page3.html
That was a modification by the reviewer. As mentioned in the caption:

"One minor change was a piece of closed cell foam to block the intake vent below the single front fan so that the fan would only draw air in from outside the case. The filter/grill was put back on afterwards."
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought that was a minor change from the R4 to the R5. That's why I was concerned about the cooling of the hard drives.

Sainty

Post by Sainty » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Just bought the R5 tonight from newegg, they have it on sale for only $89 right now if anyone is interested. Going to post a build log once I decide which Z170 mobo I'm going to pair up with a 6700k. :D

eafenryr

Post by eafenryr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here~

I would like to ask a question since I have a Define R5 as well.

I'm interested in the article, when you mentioned "This time, the bottom HDD cage was removed, and an Antec TQ140 mounted in the front under the stock intake fan"

Where did you put your HDD? Is it move near to the PSU? I'm sorry if my English is not good. 8)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm

eafenryr wrote:I'm interested in the article, when you mentioned "This time, the bottom HDD cage was removed, and an Antec TQ140 mounted in the front under the stock intake fan"

Where did you put your HDD? Is it move near to the PSU? I'm sorry if my English is not good. 8)
"The SSD was mounted behind the motherboard" -- This was a pure gaming rig, there was only one drive, this SSD.

eafenryr

Post by eafenryr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:49 pm

MikeC wrote:
eafenryr wrote:I'm interested in the article, when you mentioned "This time, the bottom HDD cage was removed, and an Antec TQ140 mounted in the front under the stock intake fan"

"The SSD was mounted behind the motherboard" -- This was a pure gaming rig, there was only one drive, this SSD.
Ah! Okay cool, I didn't notice that the build only use an SSD, because I look at the first page, the component lists have a Seagate Barracuda :D

Anyway thanks!