Post by SilentISaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am

I present to you my Silent Monster,

Nanoxia Deep Silence Case
Asus GTX 660 Direct CU
i7 3770
Noctua U12P
Be Quiet shadow wing fans PWM.
FSP fanless psu.

It's waiting for the 6 3Tb Red WD drives and it will be done.

Under idle or burn, I cannot hear the beast. The graphic card is also very very quiet under full burn. I hear a humming when I put my ear against the case during game play, if i turn off the speakers.

Amazing what technology can do now !

The fan at the bottom is because the front fan will hit the hard disks and the air will be turbulent. The bottom one is placed there for uninterupted air flow.

Temperatures range from 35 to 55 under full Software burn.

Under usual burn, like transcoding, i never get pass 48

Cheers, comments and critics appreciated
IMG_1173_1024x768.JPG
Update :

This PC Case has modular hard disk cages.

So I added 6 hard disks. WD Red's 3TB. I removed the middle cage of 2. So there is a top cage with 3 disks and bottom cage with 3 disks.

I also added another shadow wings pwm fan on my motherboard.

The hole system is inaudible. I have only one main problem.

The passive PSU is acting as an intake hole, so dust is building up in this part of the system. All other intake fans have dust filters. No dust in the cracks, except of course around the psu.

My question is, can you build a customized dust filter and how ?

Update 2 :

I changed my 6x WD Red's 3 TB with 6x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB.

Vibration was reduced, noise also. The trick is not to tighten the screwdriver on the rubber grommets. Really really keep it loose, barely in.

The vibration is not so different from the elastic way.

I went to dmcifilter and made a custom filter for the intake psu.

I had to bump the fans to 700 rpm. Still inaudible.

I took an ikea cupboard, and made holes in the back so the hot air goes from the back to the outside, and the noise is contained.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SilentISaid on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

edh

Re: The Silent Monster

Post by edh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am

What fan speeds are you running? If they're PWM I'm guessing they're thermally controlled so what RPM do you get under load and idle? Any further work you might do with fans?
SilentISaid wrote:It's waiting for the 6 3Tb Red WD drives and it will be done.
Hope you can keep it as quiet with them installed. Are you RAIDing them up?

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am

edh wrote:What fan speeds are you running? If they're PWM I'm guessing they're thermally controlled so what RPM do you get under load and idle? Any further work you might do with fans?

The fan speeds go from 400 (Dead silent) to 700 (Dead Silent).
SilentISaid wrote:It's waiting for the 6 3Tb Red WD drives and it will be done.
Hope you can keep it as quiet with them installed. Are you RAIDing them up?
The red series is controlled for vibrations and noise, so let's hope it will all be good. No raid, everything is independant. I hate raid.

The noisiest source for now is the graphic card under full load only... Otherwise, I can't hear it. And when I say can't hear it, it's SPCR can't hear it.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

Is it my eyes or is the rear fan a 140mm so its making to bottom fan look smaller that 120mm ?
Also does the temperature of the GPU stop you from doing a custom fan profile for it ? how hot does it get ?
But im guessing if its quiet enough there is little point :lol:

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Spoon Boy wrote:Is it my eyes or is the rear fan a 140mm so its making to bottom fan look smaller that 120mm ?
Also does the temperature of the GPU stop you from doing a custom fan profile for it ? how hot does it get ?
But im guessing if its quiet enough there is little point :lol:
the top fan is 140.
all the other three a 120.

Temperature of the GPU is very acceptable under load.

To tell you the truth, there is no need to custom it because I can barely hear it under load.

pm.stacker

Post by pm.stacker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:41 am

Nice one, at least someone else who does something "monster" :mrgreen:

PS: how's the retention system on the U12P? I had the U12DX1366 and I had to modify it since it always had a tendency to detach from the CPU in a vertical config.

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 am

pm.stacker wrote:Nice one, at least someone else who does something "monster" :mrgreen:

PS: how's the retention system on the U12P? I had the U12DX1366 and I had to modify it since it always had a tendency to detach from the CPU in a vertical config.
It's perfect, easy to setup and seems solid. If there was solidity problems, I think we would have heard about them

pm.stacker

Post by pm.stacker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 am

Well if it's a recent purchase it might be the new Secufirm2 mounting system I have on my two NH-D14, that's secure and solid, while the original mounting system they used on the NH-U12P/DX/DO in 2009 (when I bought mine) was less secure. :wink:

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 am

Didn't know that.

Good to know

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:05 pm

Very nice setup.

From my experience, you cant have a quiet computer with 6 HDDs.
Even if its a quiet model, you will hear buzz or scratch, maybe not immediatly, but after couple of months.

It drove me crazy you know so i decided to build a NAS.

Regards.

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:12 pm

justice99 wrote:Very nice setup.

From my experience, you cant have a quiet computer with 6 HDDs.
Even if its a quiet model, you will hear buzz or scratch, maybe not immediatly, but after couple of months.

It drove me crazy you know so i decided to build a NAS.

Regards.
I have a NAS, and I don't see why it will make less noise. The synology has noisy fans. What's the difference between a DIY Nas and this setup I have ?

cheers

justice99

Post by justice99 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 am

Hello,

I moved my NAS outside of my room, because its noisy.
My WD20EARS HDD were quiet the first 6 months, then they started to buzz, i RMA them and i got brand new hdd which were as noisy as hdd that i sent back.

Try it, if you find them quiet then it's fine, otherwise you should setup a NAS and move it somewhere in your house.

Why do you think people build a computer with SSD and with external HDD or with NAS ?

If i knew that, i would have setup a small computer with a smaller case.

Regards.

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 am

justice99 wrote:Hello,

I moved my NAS outside of my room, because its noisy.
My WD20EARS HDD were quiet the first 6 months, then they started to buzz, i RMA them and i got brand new hdd which were as noisy as hdd that i sent back.

Try it, if you find them quiet then it's fine, otherwise you should setup a NAS and move it somewhere in your house.

Why do you think people build a computer with SSD and with external HDD or with NAS ?

If i knew that, i would have setup a small computer with a smaller case.

Regards.
The computer is not in my room, but i'm confident that the isolation and position of the box will keep it silent (it's inside a cupboard in my desk) and the hard drives are on anti vibration mechanisms and the red series has anti vibration built in.

We will see.

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am

Update :

This PC Case has modular hard disk cages.

So I added 6 hard disks. WD Red's 3TB. I removed the middle cage of 2. So there is a top cage with 3 disks and bottom cage with 3 disks.

I also added another shadow wings pwm fan on my motherboard.

The hole system is inaudible. I have only one main problem.

The passive PSU is acting as an intake hole, so dust is building up in this part of the system. All other intake fans have dust filters. No dust in the cracks, except of course around the psu.

My question is, can you build a customized dust filter and how ?

SilentISaid

Post by SilentISaid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:37 am

Update 2 :

I changed my 6x WD Red's 3 TB with 6x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB.

Vibration was reduced, noise also. The trick is not to tighten the screwdriver on the rubber grommets. Really really keep it loose, barely in.

The vibration is not so different from the elastic way.

I went to dmcifilter and made a custom filter for the intake psu.

I had to bump the fans to 700 rpm. Still inaudible.

I took an ikea cupboard, and made holes in the back so the hot air goes from the back to the outside, and the noise is contained.