Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 case
BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W
i7-6700K @4.4GHz
Thermalright Macho Rev. B
Gigabyte Gaming G1 Z170
32GB DDR4 Corsair 2x16GB 3200 C16
Intel 750 400GB
MSI GTX970 Gaming 100ME

Extremely quiet system using all stock fans, which was the main objective. I even added a bit of extra internal foam to dampen any echoing fan noise. It's pretty quiet even when running stress tests. Core Tj temps hit 90C for Prime95 6.2 small fft+Furmark GPU simultaneous stress test, which I understand is not as bad as it sounds due to the way the new Prime95 works with newer processors that have AVX2. For individual stress tests they stayed around 60-65C and idle is around 30C with case fans on low. Haven't done any gaming yet, perhaps I'll throw up another pic once I move it into my lair with the big monitors. Not currently overclocking CPU or GPU, but am running the XMP memory profile.

Amazon sent me the wrong mobo when the one I ordered was out of stock, but it was a big upgrade. The clearance was close for the heatsink/fan and the video card backplate, but it barely fit. I don't really need any of the extra features since I'm not a serious gamer, but this rig should have enough muscle for casual gaming here and there for some time and plenty of upgrade potential too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darren

Re: Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 Review

Post by darren » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:37 am

Not much interest in this one I know, but the Nanoxia Deep Silence 5 turned out to be a really nice case. A few quirks like any case, but it was very easy to do neat cable routing and no major issues of any kind during assembly. The only minor issue I had were that some of the motherboard standoff screws were rather difficult to screw in all the way. A few even required a pliers to tighten and once you did, left metallic dust which is never great around a motherboard. Also, the manual could use a minor update with a complete parts list and a little more detail, especially in regard to removing the drive bays, one of which has some hidden screws. I figured everything out eventually, though. I think it's definitely worth of a full review here, as the fans are rather quiet and the front sliders for fan speed are very convenient if you prefer manual control. The options for internal drive bays are quite impressive, too. I've removed 3 of the 4 bays for better airflow. It's also very sturdy, and doesn't seem of poor quality in any way.

I purchased mine through WayfairSupply business, which makes it very competitively priced with free shipping around $135 if you have a 10% coupon code. Fry's also carries it for $130 plus tax. I don't build a lot of computers, but this is a great, quiet case. I have my Alienware 120Hz monitor hooked up as primary in Windows 10 on the GTX 970, and a 32" Costco Vizio bargain LCD TV works great as my work screen on the integrated Intel 530 graphics motherboard HDMI output. I also added a nice new Coolermaster mechanical keyboard and programmable mouse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Re: Nanoxia DS5 Z170 system + i7-6700K + GTX970

Post by Abula » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:49 am

Nice clean build, enjoy =)

Btw how is the Gigabyte fan control?

How fast is the TY147A spinning at idle and the Case fans?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Welcome to SPCR!

Very clean build.

Did you try it without the foam? -I find foam's acoustic dampening qualities in PC builds are mostly a placebo.

darren

Post by darren » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:48 am

xan_user wrote:Welcome to SPCR!

Very clean build.

Did you try it without the foam? -I find foam's acoustic dampening qualities in PC builds are mostly a placebo.
Thank you, though I'm not exactly new here, just not a regular poster;-)

I did not do any A/B testing without the foam. I have no doubt that covering metal surfaces would make a measurable difference by reducing internal reflections. Whether or not it would be audible or not a meter away from the box is another question, and I'd guess the answer is probably not much if at all, especially at idle. I do have a sound meter, but the ambient noises like the furnace and monitors in my office tend to be what I hear. If I put a game on, the GPU fan becomes obvious, though still pretty quiet in my opinion.
Abula wrote:Nice clean build, enjoy =)

Btw how is the Gigabyte fan control?

How fast is the TY147A spinning at idle and the Case fans?
Right now, the CPU fan is reading 610 RPM. It kicks up to nearly 1300 RPM when I run stress testing. I have selected the Quiet setting in BIOS for now. To be honest, I really haven't experimented much with the CPU fan settings and will look into them more. I know the Gigabyte windows utility allows you to calibrate multiple manual fan speed points vs. CPU temperature, so I'm guessing I could set it a bit lower at idle to take advantage of the low minimum RPM on the CPU fan.

As for the case fans, I don't have them on the motherboard controller. I have the front and rear fans hooked up to separate built-in front slider controls on the Nanoxia DS5. I keep them at the lowest setting unless I am running stress testing. I'm not sure what the minimum voltage is for those sliders or the resulting fan RPM, sorry. In general, what I hear sitting at my desk are the two monitors and slight exhaust fan noise.

It's definitely not a completely silent system, but is quieter than my last system which was reasonably quiet as well.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:02 am

darren wrote:
Thank you, though I'm not exactly new here, just not a regular poster;-)
whoops... i'll blame it on my halloween brew last night, everything was a bit fuzzy lastnight.