HDPlex H5 Gen2 dedicated 4way audio crossover build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eugenius

HDPlex H5 Gen2 dedicated 4way audio crossover build

Post by eugenius » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:41 am

So, I decided to make a dedicated software 4 way crossover for DIY speakers, and it had to be silent.

Hardware:
HT Omega Claro Halo XT (dual board soundcard with upgraded opamps, PCI 32bit slot)
Gigabyte B85M-HD3 motherboard (matx motherboard, as narrow as an ITX board and has a PCI 32bit slot for the sound card)
Celeron G1840 (enough for audio processing)
250GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD
Full size ATX Seasonic X400 fanless PSU

This is my first HDPlex (I also have a Hush ATX and a HFX Classic).

The H5 is pretty well thought out but I ran into some problems:

1. I have to force the top cover a bit to fit between the ridges in the radiators, I tried loosening some screws and pulling the radiators a bit wider but the problem remained. The black paint on the radiators and top cover gets scratched easily. UGH!!!!!!

2. I can't get the aluminium face plate to not sag towards the floor when I open it. The manual says to tighten two screws, they're tightened to the max already.

3. Since I'm using a very narrow motherboard, I couldn't install two heatpipes, the socket is too far back and the radiator ends of the two upper back heatpipes didn't fit inside the case. It's running ok with 6 heatpipes anyway, it's just a Celeron.

4. The long full size PSU blocks the HDD/SSD bay so I had to lay the SSD flat on the floor.

5. The full size PSU attachment is just a flimsy aluminium bracket screwed on a single corner of the PSU. I bet if you turn the case upside down and shake it, the PSU either moves or detaches.

All in all, the thing works as it should, the temps are OK but the experience wasn't perfect.

Here's some pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djkest

Re: HDPlex H5 Gen2 dedicated 4way audio crossover build

Post by djkest » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:22 am

Tell me about the speakers these are controlling please.