Nexus - Shuttle Silencing Kit?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

erikku

Nexus - Shuttle Silencing Kit?

Post by erikku » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:35 am

I found this by change. Anyone ever heard of it or know of any reviews?

I was just about to buy the Shuttle when I read all the bad reviews about sound level. (Right now I'm looking at the Nexus case with the NX-3000, but it will involve some work and/or search for components, and I really don't need more than one PCI-slot anyway...)

Any info will greatly appreciated!

http://www.nexustek.nl/Nexus_ShuttleSilencingKit.htm

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:01 am

So what are you buying here? A quieter CPU fan and some pre-cut case dampening foam? I suspect you could do that yourself for cheaper, not to mention that the foam would probably help increase the temperature inside an already toasty case.

They haven't addressed the issues of the noisey PSU, highly restrictive fan grill and inadequate ventalation. These are areas where a lot of improvement is needed.

B

Post by B » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:31 pm

deleted. wrong thread

SmallQuietComputing
Friend of SPCR

Post by SmallQuietComputing » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:11 am

The noise reduction material is likely a resonance damping material such as Dynamat. There is precious little clearance in the case to allow for foam. I wonder what the heck they mean by a noise reduction cable?

I would want to know which fan they mean by, "quietest case/heat-pipe fan in the market" MY concern being that the fan be adequate for the fastest/hottest CPU and video card combination that the case can accomodate.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 pm

SmallQuietComputing wrote:The noise reduction material is likely a resonance damping material such as Dynamat. There is precious little clearance in the case to allow for foam. I wonder what the heck they mean by a noise reduction cable?

I would want to know which fan they mean by, "quietest case/heat-pipe fan in the market" MY concern being that the fan be adequate for the fastest/hottest CPU and video card combination that the case can accomodate.
I can verify there is barely enough space for application of dynamats... or paxmate.
As far as cooling is involved, even fan's rated at 28cfm does decent job with up to P4 2.53GHz which I had.

blakerwry

Post by blakerwry » Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:35 pm

I installed some foam from Hobby lobby or some other craft store that I ahve had sitting around unused for about a year now...

it's about .25" thick.. black... it doesn't cover the vents, but goes all around the top/sides on the removable part of the case of my SB51G...

it's a tight fit.. and probably doesnt help much.. the big noise makers on this PC are the PSU and case fan...