Lian Li New Quiet Case Review (PC-6070)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Lian Li New Quiet Case Review (PC-6070)

Post by sgtpokey » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:41 am

http://www.onepc.net/index.php?view=docs&doc_id=157

Personally, I don't think this will do it for me... it focuses on problems that this forum already has solutions for OR are relatively minor issues. I'd be more interested in better case airflow (no more stamped grills) with low-voltage fans. That would in turn give you the flexibility to use your own silencing techniques.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:28 pm

I think it looks cool though :D

Lithium
Patron of SPCR

Post by Lithium » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:51 pm

What would you guys recommend right about now for a high quality but quiet case that would allow good airflow.

I'm looking at putting in some hot parts and using the Zalman VGA pipe and that new spancy Zalman 700 whatever it is that's just slowly trickling outta Asia to cool the processor.

I've heard lots of things about the Sonnata, not trying to derail just wondering.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:11 pm

I think it looks cool though
I don't know if I like the look of the smooth, plain front. Hard to tell though from a picture, I have a Lian-Li PC-60 right now and I was worried about it's "plain" appearance until I saw it in person though.

What would you guys recommend right about now for a high quality but quiet case that would allow good airflow.
I haven't formed a definite opinion 'cause I've only really tried a few types of cases. I'm coming from an overclocking background and I *THINK* I'm looking for any case that looks cool in a living room that has lots of fan position options-- preferrably side intake fan(s) to cool the graphics card, northbridge, and cpu areas.

My current case (lian li pc60 USB 2) is fine right now and when I upgrade to a zalman heatpipe for the GPU, I'll probably bolt on a zalman fan bracket to get that GPU airflow. If I become more paranoid about airflow I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 034-05.JPG

and here's one that doesn't look as cool but the sideintake is RIGHT OVER where your zalman heatpipe would be:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 035-10.jpg

I know that either of these designs would be better if the fan grills were less restrictive but for now these are the ones that conform best to my style/performance needs.

*** OH, i should also point out that for anyone using No Vibes III or Smart Drive 2002's to silence their hard drives, note that the second case I linked to has 5.25" bays AT THE BOTTOM of the case, which means that you can use the 120mm front intake fan to cool down your No Vibe/Smart Drive enclosed 3.5" hard drives.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:22 pm

I like the looks of both those cases. I cant believe I never noticed them on newegg. But general people on this forum are against side and top intake/exhaust, because they allow more noise to escape.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:34 pm

I like the looks of both those cases. I cant believe I never noticed them on newegg. But general people on this forum are against side and top intake/exhaust, because they allow more noise to escape.
Yeah, I think I'm in the quiet, but not silent bloc (If there is such a contingent on this forum). All I know is my refrigerator in my apartment is louder than the low-rpm fan noise in my computer so I basically use that as my baseline :). I definitely don't use a top exhaust, but it seems to me having low-rpm side-intakes may be better than low-rpm front intakes, since you're using a more direct airpath air to your hot components. And it also seems to me that side-intakes (being further away from your ear) should be quieter than front-intakes. All theory for me though, since I've never had side intakes before.

but yeah, I never would have seen these enermax cases were it not for a blurb on tomshardware (can't find the link) reviewing 15 cases.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:25 pm

Yea i thought the same thing. I like the first one that you linked. Its made of titanium and steel. There is only one review on it though. It also has cddrives at the bottom of the case, which would be great for mounting sidesinked hard drives.

sgtpokey
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sgtpokey » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:31 pm

you mean this review, right?
http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=57914

I don't think newegg carries this model, the model number on the Enermax page for the titanium (CS-B031TBB) doesn't match the model number newegg has (CS-B031-B). I think the newegg one is just plain black (no titanium finish), with no side window.

here's directron's pic of the titanium... shiny!!
http://www.directron.com/csb031tbb.html

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:07 pm

I like the one from newegg better really. Also the one at newegg doesnt have a window.

Badashmods

Take a look at this one

Post by Badashmods » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:26 pm

This case is my current favorite. Best layout I've ever seen and way easy to set up. I just got one from 1coolpc.com .

http://www.burnoutpc.com/index.php?page ... view_id=21

Tore

Post by Tore » Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:15 am

I like aluminium cases. The metal is easy to drill through, and it's easy to cut away things you don't like. The Lian-Li cases do mostly get good reviews. I'm making a micro-ATX PC with a Lian-Li PC9300 USB. It's a good looking case, which is important since I'll put it under the TV, but it doesn't have a lot of space. I like it though, and I think I'll be able to make a very quiet PC with it.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:23 am

Yea the globalwin 61f1-b, really really nice, but also expensive. I was looking at one of those for a while.

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:06 pm

Re the Lian-LI 6070 and other cases using internal noise insulation:

Whether all that heat-trapping insulation is worth it is a big question - without it you could probably run your fans more slowly and achieve roughly the same low-noise footprint at the same temps. Extending that 6070 review, two comparisons would make an interesting test of this hypothesis: lower the fan speeds in the comparison L-L PC-82 until the CPU and case temps matched those in the PC-6070 and then see which case is quieter; or conversely get them both running at the same overall noise level and see which is hotter. Of course you would need matching internals to do this fairly...

I suspect the big plus with the 6070 is that thick door in front of the noisy drives. I am surprised they failed to use isolating mounts for the HD cage and the fans, considering the relatively little extra these would cost.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu May 22, 2003 2:59 am

I found another review for Lian Li PC-6070 case with LOTS of useful photos of the innards / details of the case:

http://www.icrontic.com/?action=printable&id=412

It sure does look interesting. I'm a bit worried about it's internal rigidity (the metal is quite thin for aluminum). Also, it probably needs additional acoustic damping absorbing material, possibly fan replacement and definitely hd rubber grommet mounting.

A big bonus (IMHO) is the spacious front door that probably allows additional sound absorbing material to be placed there.

I think the front 2 x 80 mm are probably sufficient, but unfortunately the back exhaust fan is 80 mm as well. It doesn't look like a 120 mm fan can be fitted there.

Even more images at XPC Gear:

http://www.xpcgear.com/lianli6070.html

regards,
Halcyon

DeadBySundown
Friend of SPCR

Post by DeadBySundown » Thu May 22, 2003 5:33 am

Lithium wrote:What would you guys recommend right about now for a high quality but quiet case that would allow good airflow.

I'm looking at putting in some hot parts and using the Zalman VGA pipe and that new spancy Zalman 700 whatever it is that's just slowly trickling outta Asia to cool the processor.

I've heard lots of things about the Sonnata, not trying to derail just wondering.
I'm in the 'as quiet as possible but not neccessarily silent' crowd here, as my PC is in a room without air conditioning which can get very hot in the summer. Therefore, while I appreciate being as quiet as possible, I need the flexibility to move a lot of air when neccessary.

Recently upgraded just about everything on this PC, and went with an Antec PlusView 1080 case with an Antec TruePower 430W PS. The case sports 5 80mm fan mounts - two below the PS, two in the front (one directly in front of the hard drive cage), and one on the side, directly over the AGP slot. Airflow through the case is fantastic. I went with a Zalman ZM80A to cool the video card, and found that the positioning of the side intake is perfect in combination with the large Zalman heatsinks. Also used the Zalman 7000Cu to cool the processor, and found that the case airflow is good enough to turn the fan on the 7000 down to the lowest speed setting, about 1400 RPM, at which it's effectively inaudible.

Given my summer heat issues, I really like the variable-speed fan circuit on the Antec PS. It's a cool day here today, and as a result, the fans don't have much work to do; PS fan is running at 1600 RPM and the case fans at 1200 RPM. There's definately some quiet fan noise up close to the PC, but I personally don't find it to be annoying at all. On a really hot day, those RPM values will get up to 3000 and 2400, respectively, at which point the whooshing noise of moving air is definately more noticeable, but it's a far more pleasant noise than the motherboard heat alarm. :wink:

Overall, very pleased with this case and setup; definately the airflow solution I needed, but quiet when it can be.