Antec Solo....BROKEN POWER and RESET BUTTONS!!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

kater

Post by kater » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:10 pm

It's OK, my both HDDs are in 2.5" SQDs and seat neatly on trays - no real difference here in terms of vibration damping. Given the quickly dropping prices of SSDs I don't suppose I'll need elastic band or rubber grommets any time soon, for that matter ;)

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 am

jimmyzaas wrote:It seems to me like Antec is just corner cutting. Their cases used to be built like tanks. My SX1030, although loud, was just a solid piece of work. These new ones they are producing seem flimsy in comparison.
Could not agree with you more. I still use a 1080AMG tower -- a later production line of SX1030 -- and it is indeed tanklike. Six years in use, and apart from a few scratches, it looks almost brand new to this day. I don't have to baby it either as you have to with their newer cases. I know I can get stuck into Antec sometimes, but that doesn't mean I don't like them or their cases. I do. It just doesn't extend to fanboyism. Hopefully they will hear their customers and fix some of these issues in their future products.

wanky

Post by wanky » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:16 am

lol yeah my main pc is still in an antec sx1040 which i got about 7 years ago and nothng has ever broken on it. it uses 1.0mm thick steel i think the antecs these days are 0.8mm

kater

Post by kater » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 am

Some are 0.8 (NSK), but most are 1 mm. Anyhoo, it's not the steel most ppl are complaining on, but rather things like plastic buttons, rubber bands for hdd etc. Still tho, even cheapest Antecs are better quality than generic cases or cheapo cases with big brand names, such as Gigabyte or Asus.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:55 am

I agree with the previous post. Antec are still streets ahead of the competition for the quality of steel used, even compared to the so called big name brands. 1mm makes for quite a sturdy case. The 0.8mm on their NSK is a let down, but still better than the 0.5-0.6mm on many other cases in the same price bracket. The P18x is 0.8mm because it's a composite of alumimium and plastic; it's not a sign of poorer quality, however it's flexible and can possibly warp. One thing that annoys me with Antec's steel as of late is the surprising sharp edges throughout. Coming from an 1080AMG which never gave me a single reason to fear getting cut, the Solo gave me a shock with its number of sharp and graze causing edges.

Square Wave

Post by Square Wave » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:12 am

I'm pleased with my Solo case in all other respects though. The gloss black finish looks excellent for a mass-produced item at that cost.

The hard drive suspension elastics don't look very substantial, so I'll be keeping an eye on those - or maybe make some stronger ones.

:)

dhanson865

Re: Antec Solo....BROKEN POWER and RESET BUTTONS!!

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:01 am

OK, there have been dozens of threads on this topic but I didn't see a better one to necro so here we are.

I bought a Solo in Nov 2006 (7.5 years ago). I got a replacement power switch in May 2009 (when the case was 2.5 years old) and today the power button broke again (after 5 years of use).

I suppose it says something positive about the design of the case that I'd rather replace the power button than get a new case. Or maybe it's just because I don't want to toss all this processed material in a landfill somewhere.

As is, If I take the front cover off the PC I can use the power button but now I have two drive bays exposed (lack of noise deflection/absorption and airflow changes). That's ignoring the cosmetic difference the front cover makes.

So I'm waiting for Antec support to come in for the day so I can see if I can buy a new front cover.

edit: they don't have the old face in stock now, but you can buy http://store.antec.com/Catalog/ProductD ... 45-30133-6 and it will fit (and they have it with other color trims)

as a short term fix I have moved the power switch to hang out the rear of the case. It's a raw switch so it isn't pretty or comfortable to push but it works and I have the front cover back on.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 am

After many years of using my Antec Solo the power button broke. I'm sure that if I spent a bit of effort I could rig a repair. Why bother? I just removed the button and power on the PC by sticking a finger through the button hole to the switch.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 am

Michael Sandstrom wrote:After many years of using my Antec Solo the power button broke. I'm sure that if I spent a bit of effort I could rig a repair. Why bother? I just removed the button and power on the PC by sticking a finger through the button hole to the switch.
In my case the plastic square that holds the button in place on the metal frame of the case broke as well, I ran the power switch out the rear of the case and it is hanging in mid air, I just have to use 2 or 3 fingers to grab the switch, hold it and push it in to turn on the PC.

I only turn the PC on once a day so it isn't much of an issue but at this point I have no reset switch wired up and my power switch has no button near it.

I like the case design but I so wish I could buy the 5 cent piece of plastic I need to hold the power switch in the metal frame of the case, at least then I could do what you are doing or move it down and use the old reset button as the new power switch.

I suppose someone could 3d print one if they had an undamaged one to measure and took the time to design a replacement.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:39 am

Mine broke while under warranty and they shipped me a replacement front panel. Then, the second one broke...fortunately, super glue worked well enough to keep the plastic springy thing in place for a couple of years..and then broke again...super glued again and it survived for a few more years. I think I broke it the first time when the front panel wasn't closed as completely as I thought it was...and the button's throw was more than the plastic could handle.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:18 am

How do you glue the power button exactly? Mine is an original P150 'White' I think.

It's not obvious to me how it all worked before it broke, but maybe it was a very simple setup.

Alternatively, I guess I could switch it on using the PSU on/off switch, or locate the power button switch to a rear vent, so it can be operated from there.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:42 am

Hmm, two year memory recall...

Open up the front fascia and take a good look at the power switch button assembly. It sits in a base with two plastic spiral rings that are attached to the fascia with little black plastic fasteners. When you press the power button, the spiral rings flex. Flex too much and the black plastic fasteners break. I was able to reattach them using super glue. YMMV.