Searching for an aesthetically appealing desktop ATX case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Searching for an aesthetically appealing desktop ATX case

Post by LushMD » Sun May 25, 2003 4:00 pm

I am hoping to build a reasonably quiet HTPC style system in the near future and am in search of an aesthetically appealing, desktop ATX form factor case. I considered using a Coolermaster m-ATX case. However, this case is so large (dimensions: W=16.8", H=5.7", and L=18.7"), that I thought that I might as well go with a full size ATX system. I came across the Ahanix D.Vine case, but have heard that it has poor airflow/cooling. Please let me know if you are aware of any other attractive, desktop HTPC style cases that support the ATX form factor. Many thanks. Take care.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Sun May 25, 2003 4:07 pm

LushMD,

In about two weeks, the ATX version of that Coolermaster case (ATC-611) will be available from DigitalConnection. It probably will cost more than typical ATX cases, cause it will include a 300W 2U power supply (by special request from DC).

The coolest new HTPC-type ATX case is the DIGN HV-5 case. This PC ATX case is now available in Europe, and should be hitting the states in 2-3 weeks. It will be available in silver, gold, and black. It has a blue LED and aluminum tact switches, a USB-based VFD display, an IR interface, a silent power supply, and an aluminum body that is as much as 8mm thick (3.5mm on sides). This case's thickness should provide for some reasonable noise insulation, although sadly it still uses 60mm fans in the rear like the older DIGN and D.Vine models.

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Sun May 25, 2003 4:19 pm

Thanks for the info KenAF. Do you have any other info re ATX version of the coolermaster case, such as i.e. dimensions and/or cost? Many thanks. Take care.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Sun May 25, 2003 10:19 pm

Lush,

I don't know the dimensions for the Coolermaster ATC-611. I suspect they will be comparable, if not identical, to the the ATC-610. As far as cost, I expect it will run in the $200 range because the 2U power supply is rather expensive. Digital Connection folks posted on the AVSForum last week that it was due in the first or second week of June, so we should have more information in the next week or two.

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Mon May 26, 2003 9:41 am

Thanks again KenAF. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to Coolermaster's description of the case (dimensions are similar to those of their other desktop cases). Take care.

LushMD
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by LushMD » Mon May 26, 2003 9:21 pm

I wish the damn antec fusion case was available already...

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Tue May 27, 2003 6:11 am

The Antec Fusion was delayed until fall, at the earliest. Executives were apparently dissatisfied with the final product samples.

illroot

Post by illroot » Sat May 31, 2003 1:09 am

Does anyone know about the Tower cases that are in the pics in the http://www.dignint.com/product_main.htm in the lower right hand corner? Are those concept boxes or something? Those are sweet towers! Sorry to change the topic at hand...

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Sat May 31, 2003 9:17 am

illroot,

Yes, those are concept products. They are not yet available for sale, and they may never be. That said, I do understand that DIGN does plan to release a tower of some kind late this year. Whether it will be one of those pictured, or something else entirely, nobody knows.

illroot

Post by illroot » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:58 pm

I really do hope they release at least one of those towers they have pictured (except the one with the handles). There are so many companies doing the same things with their cases, in terms of style, that it would be nice to see something different. There are some people trying to make different looking cases but they're just plain ugly(like the iStyle case http://www.siliconacoustics.com/istylecase.html)
There are some nice looking cases put out by Sony, but that's just the problem, you can't just get a Sony case.

If there are any case companies out there in need of a case designer please look me up. I think I can come up with some nice designs that people would like to see.