Ahanix Cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bowlofrice

Ahanix Cases

Post by bowlofrice » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:24 pm

Hey guys, I've been researching and trying to come to a good compromise between speed, quietness, and aesthetics--asking for a lot, I know, but I'm just testing the waters for now. I'll eventually settle for something reasonable =P Lots of great discussion on these boards, by the way.

Anyway, I stumbled across the following Ahanix cases:
- http://www.ahanix.com/m25.html
- http://www.ahanix.com/c_c47.html
- http://www.ahanix.com/ex110.html

I like how the M25 and C47 look more than the EX110, but the latter seems to have much better ventilation in the front. The M25 and C47 are strangely lacking in vents, so the front fans would probably pull in very little air, correct? Additionally, I'd hate to put any optical drives into any of those cases. The EX110 seems closes to beige, but it seems a little too white.

Does anybody have any experience with Ahanix cases? How's their quality and sound? I was considering the D8000 from Coolcases, but I don't really want to go through the undervolting to make those 120s quiet and so I was looking for a good case with 80's so I could use the Panaflos.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

illroot

Post by illroot » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:38 am

I myself was looking at the C47, and someone told me that the grill on the side panel of the case wouldn't help in keeping sound in. But if all your components are quiet, I guess that wouldn't really matter.

I'd like to hear some comments too from owners of these cases.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:14 pm

I looked at all of these cases, and to me, they look like a very "average" case when it comes to noise levels. I'd say over 95% of the cases out there have the same 80mm intakes and exausts.

While it's true that you can run quiet 80mm fans, they won't move air like a quiet 120mm fan. I have built hundreds of computers in my life, and I've tried all of the best 80mm fans. My conclusion is 120mm is the way to go. Not only will the 120mm's run quieter, but your computer will run more stable due to the lower temps.

That's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth. After experiencing the 120mm fans in cases and power supplies, I'll never go back to anything less.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:48 pm

Katana Man wrote:My conclusion is 120mm is the way to go. Not only will the 120mm's run quieter, but your computer will run more stable due to the lower temps.

That's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth. After experiencing the 120mm fans in cases and power supplies, I'll never go back to anything less.
I have no intention of starting a flame war here :)....just wanting to point out that MikeC prefers 80mm fans for low-noise systems. He mentions it in this thread (Zalman ZM-MFC1 multi-fan controller review) among others on the site. FWIW. YMMV.

I have no experience with 120mm fans so, my opinion would be hearsay.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:37 pm

i don't deal much with low noise 120mm fans, but they have less static pressure when blowing directly to a heatsink. For more of a comprimise i would use a 92mm fan.

Also (just what i've gathered) 120mm fans have large blades which take more power to turn and make slightly more noise. Also they cannot be run at as low voltages as 80mm. Maybe they even have more motor noise but i;m not sure on that one yet.

This is just what i've gathered, mainly from mike.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:01 pm

DryFire wrote: For more of a comprimise i would use a 92mm fan.
Yeah that's what I intend to do. What are the quietest 92mm fans to choose from? I'm tossing this 92mm Vantec Stealth.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:13 pm

Check the recommended fans list: http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =63&page=1

I personally would say the 92mm l1a or m1a if yo need a little more air. The nmb 92mm is pretty quiet on my sister's dell. I've never set it to 5 v for fear of the dell overheating.