Antec Sonata - Help with 5.25 devices ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

grambo

Antec Sonata - Help with 5.25 devices ?

Post by grambo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:03 pm

Hi there, I'm setting up my new machine using an Antec Sonata. Mainboard is already in and I am now trying to get my CDRW drive in. It appears you have to put 5.25 devices in from "inside the case" and slide them forward in the drive bay. Unfortunetly this is nearly impossible because of the stupid steel bar they have welded from the back of the case to the front. I tried to pop the front panel off to see if I could back the drive in but I can only seem to find the clips to remove the front case panel on the side of the case with the removable panel, are there 3 more clips hidden behind the mainboard tray that you have to get at to remove the other panel? Is there an easier way to install these devices besides doing it before the mainboard is in? This is a huge pain.

Thanks for any help..

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:07 pm

Just mount the rails (on the back of the plates covering the 5.25 holes) on the sides of the drive and slide it in from the front.

grambo

Post by grambo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:11 pm

I mounted the rails on the side of the CDRW drive but when I try to slide it in the front, it seems to hit the black front faceplate of the Sonata, there doesnt seem to be enough room width wise to get it in. I must be missing something obvious here hehe. Thanks if you can help?

grambo

Post by grambo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:13 pm

Oh my god.

I mounted the rails on the lower set of holes and was trying to push the CDRW in and the rails were obviously blocked. I didn't understand how it works. Man I feel stupid, I just pulled all the powercables that were tucked away out too.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks though :) back to building

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:27 pm

i feel your confusion grambo.my first tiem with an antec case took me 20 mins to figure out the 5.25 rail system.

grambo

Post by grambo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:38 pm

Well all is well now, got it booted and installing XP.

Just noticed my new enemy: the dinky 40mm fan cooling my old Geforce GTS2 (until I get a new card in a month or so) the thing makes an awful rattling noise, it's coming off and being replaced ASAP. The CDRW drive is also very irritating. Fans are very very quiet (default 120mm out, PSU and 92mm L1A @ 12v on CPU, going to put in the 120mm L1A's and possibly undervolt the CPU later on.)

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:50 pm

grambo wrote:Well all is well now, got it booted and installing XP.

Just noticed my new enemy: the dinky 40mm fan cooling my old Geforce GTS2 (until I get a new card in a month or so) the thing makes an awful rattling noise, it's coming off and being replaced ASAP. The CDRW drive is also very irritating. Fans are very very quiet (default 120mm out, PSU and 92mm L1A @ 12v on CPU, going to put in the 120mm L1A's and possibly undervolt the CPU later on.)
If you can disable/remove the current 40mm fan, a short-run, lower-cost solution would be to get a 80mm L1A, undervolt it, and mount it on a DIY bracket....

Image linked from MikeC's Silencing a P4-1.6A oc'd to 2GHz article.

grambo

Post by grambo » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:29 pm

Nice, I might try that bracket mod, since a new 40mm fan or iceberg etc. for the GF2 will cost more than a 80mm L1A