Sonex Polyurethane Acoustical Foam

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Vector

Sonex Polyurethane Acoustical Foam

Post by Vector » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:14 am

Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/63/288.htm?74

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:02 am

I assume you're thinking of using this inside your case as opposed to using it on the wall behind your case, right?

I've been using it and it's bigger brother for 25 years to treat the walls of my stereo room. It works best for higher frequency sounds and not too well for lower frequency sounds. It starts "drying out" and gets crumbly after a few years of exposure to normal air. We use this at work around machinery that is similar to what you'd see inside of a PC case (kid of warm + a lot of electronics) and the Sonex deteriorates fairly fast. I'd say 1-1.5 years and it's starting to get crumbly.

Another consideration: 1" thick doesn't seem like much but that will eat up a lot of space inside your case.

I think I'd go with that "melamine" matting that they've been talking about in that giant thread. Looks like that's the best price/performance/user-friendly way to go right now.

Vector

Post by Vector » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:23 am

Actually, I'm using the melamine foam as we speak. But, I'm a little bit apprehensive about the exposed fiberglass to the hardware. I just get paranoid thoughts of tiny microscopic glass shards getting into the machanical parts of my components and causing havok. I know that's probably a ridiculous notion, but hey, that's me.

Well, maybe I'll just stop being such a penny-pincher and go for the AcoustiPack foam.

Thanks for the feedback, Ralf. That was very informative.