Has anyone tried the Akasa Paxmate dampning material

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jfsavage

Has anyone tried the Akasa Paxmate dampning material

Post by jfsavage » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:14 am

This looks good for $20, but there is only one review shown.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozen ... d=rf7FyRFG

lacsap
Friend of SPCR

Post by lacsap » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:28 am

I have it installed in my PC. It reduces moise a little without heat going up. Of course, the only thing it won't dampen is PSU noise, but for lttle vibrations and HDD noises, it's pretty good

Harry Azol

Post by Harry Azol » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:01 am

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:39 am

I got it ($10 from SVC) and tried it out in a SFF case. As for as my totally unscientific and subjective testing goes, it didn't reduce the noise any at all.

The box says "reduce high frequency fan noise". I didn't have any to start with, which may be the case.

It smells too. Leaving it to air for a couple of weeks before installing helps.

I wished I had read the SPCR review before buying it :-(

MercenaryJulian

Post by MercenaryJulian » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:01 am

It does have a bit of a smell to it, but I stopped noticing it after a day or two...my wife complained for a week though, so YMMV.

I have Paxmate installed in my 1080AMG, and it did reduce the fan/HDD noise by a noticeable amount. I have three 80mm Antec Smartfans in my case, and two of the Antec 80mm fans that came with the case running @ 7 volts, in addition to the TMD on my Aeroflow, so I had a significant amount of noise to start with. I can see how it would be ineffective when dealing with an already reduced noise level.

It does do a good job at masking HDD noise. Running my system _almost_ fanless for a bit, I still couldn't tell when the HDD was active, but I certainly could before I installed the Paxmate. HDD is a hard-mounted WD J-series.

Siili

Post by Siili » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:15 pm

as Harry said, look at this article. I too recommend Acoustipack. I installed the standard version, it's now thinner than the review says (2mm barrier mass, 5 mm foam). Thin enough to fit my case without too much trouble, and it seemed to muffle the noise nicely (unscientific opinion).
Since the padding is probably going to last for the entire life of the case, it's not the place to go for the cheapest solution IMHO.
The results are probably even better with the deluxe model, if it fits your case. Though they have just revised the deluxe model to v2. It's thinner to fit the case (7mm-17mm), but still has that anechoic sheet and blocks for the empty drive bays.
Acoustipack really has the science facts on their site to back their product, just as the review says. Convinced me, and I'm a physicist turned to software dev :) not exactly my field, but still.

carlitosz

Post by carlitosz » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:32 pm

dont buy it. I have it in my system and it did nothing, Same noise as before. Its thickness is around 4mm, about 1/4". In my opinion something that is not at least 10mm will not do anything. Go with another option.

By the way, my tower is a CoolerMaster 111.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:17 am

The same story - it did almost nothing! Don't buy it!