Not this kind of dampening!!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hsdhman

Not this kind of dampening!!

Post by hsdhman » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:51 pm

My comp is quite loud, and sometimes very annoying. This morning, without my knowledge, my sister tried to make it quieter...

She took a thick fleece blanket and smothered it!

Luckily, I discovered it in time. It was nice and quiet, but the cpu temp was more than 70 degrees celcius (161* F) and the mobo was at 50C (122*F).

After I took the blanket off and cracked the case, there was a blast of hot air that rose up into my face :shock:

Luckily nothing was damaged. It was so quiet with the blanket on methinks Im going to actually get some quieter goods to put in the comp.

:D
Last edited by hsdhman on Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:59 pm

Alright then...important safety tip - fleece blankets do not good case dampening material make

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:25 pm

Sisters: the greatest problem of silent computing.

Mine goes the other way; she turns up the volume on her computer real high while listening to music, and her comp is a couple feet away from mine...

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:48 pm

I have two neighbours sitting on the top of the roof on the house next door. They are both exhausts of a new heat exchange system, with huge radial fans (I think). The drum is probably 1 meter in diameter. There is no sound control whatsoever. They are just sitting there, externally, and making the noise equivalent of a whole gaming LAN of overclocked computers.

I havent decide what to do yet though. Either I demand to switch appartement. Or I propose a technical solution to the noise problem. Or I send the problem to a sound engineering firm and tell them to send the bills to my house owners.

hsdhman

Post by hsdhman » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:43 pm

I realize now that im pretty lucky the house didnt burn down.... that fleece blanket could have lit up really quick....

Arent there laws against stuff like putting big loud fans out where they bother everyone? That should be illegal.

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:16 pm

Of course there are laws. But they are generally specified with lots of interpreting the situation. Besides, I think I am the only mammal among my neighbours. The others are more like carbon dioxide breathing plants. They think the ventilation is enough when windows are closed and airvents shut tight. If I close all.. then there is not so much noise to be heard. Not much oxygene to breathe either.

Most companies likes to balance with economics and ergonomy/environment. Therefore they pick the cheapest and ugliest solution and remedies it if there are enough complaints and lawsuits. And sometimes they are just plain stupid.