newbie fan question?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

adoyle

newbie fan question?

Post by adoyle » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:40 pm

I'm building a system from scratch and need major help.

my config would be: p 4 2.8 ghz, asus pc800 deluxe, nvidia quadro fx 1000, 1 gb ram, 2 seagate baracuda v hd.

1) how do i know how many case fans to buy? i was thinking of getting the ultra quiet papst fans (80mm). Are 120 mm better and lower noise? i thought they would be noisier from their specs compared to the 80mm,no?

2) is there some kind of a passive solution to cooling the quadro fx, which is based on the same chip as the geforce fx 5800, i believe.
i don't know if that zalman heatpipe would be good enough.

3) any great case recommendations?

Thanks
alan

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:56 pm

I'm a fan of the Antec 3700AMB w/ its 120 fan mounts. I would have gone with the Antec Sonota, but I like that this case is a little bigger. Both are good choices. There are variations of the same basic case out there for less money too. You really can't go wrong with an undervolted 120mm fan...I love my Enermax Adjustable. It works so well, that it is the ONLY case fan I have and my temps average 6C over room temp at idle and 8C at load. You can attach a Zalman fanmate to it to make it quieter, but I'm fine with it on low. That way I make sure there is good airflow around the Zalman VGA Heatpipe on my Radeon 9700np.