Fitting a PCIe wireless network card in an Akasa Euler

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Stupid boy

Fitting a PCIe wireless network card in an Akasa Euler

Post by Stupid boy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:06 am

I have a DQ77KB inside an Akasa Euler. I want to put a wireless network card in there. The motherboard supports various sorts of PCI Express cards, but the case isn't really designed for them. That said, I think this can work.; it helps that the wireless network card doesn't have to be exposed outside the case at all.

Has anyone done something like this? Or does anyone have ideas as to whether or how I can?

Also, I remember once seeing PCI adapters that changed the direction of PCI cards. Has anyone seen something like this for PCI Express, and does anyone have a link to one?

At some point, I'll take the heatsink (case) off the CPU and then measure lots of things precisely in order to figure this out properly, but I want to plan things a bit before I do that because that will be a bit of a production.

washu

Re: Fitting a PCIe wireless network card in an Akasa Euler

Post by washu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 pm

There are PCIe risers available, including flexible ones.

Examples:
http://www.logicsupply.com/components/a ... ciex1-lpr/
http://www.logicsupply.com/components/a ... p1-362-10/
Stupid boy wrote:it helps that the wireless network card doesn't have to be exposed outside the case at all.
Not sure what you are saying here. A wireless card is not going to work very well, and probably not at all sealed inside a metal case.

Any reason not to use a USB Wireless adapter? They are cheap and don't need any special mounting hardware.

ktriebol

Post by ktriebol » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

According to the specs, that board has a half-height mini pcie slot, so you should be able to use the Intel 7260 card. It will give you wireless ac and Bluetooth.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833106190

I believe the Intel 7260 only works with Haswell processors, though, so keep that in mind.

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks for all of the tips.

I've used USB network adapters, but they aren't very well supported by Linux. They wind up being fine for SSH with mosh, but they're quite bad for HTTP.

I wound up getting a 7260HMW BN because it didn't say that it requires a Haswell processor. (The one that ktriebol linked says "4th generation Intel Core processors".) It probably requires a Haswell processor anyway, but I can hope.

It fits just fine and gets detected, but it turns out that this card's driver also has issues. Until I fix that, I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WR710N, which I plan on turning into a ROOter.