My potential quiet case, feedback appreciated

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

antiatavist

My potential quiet case, feedback appreciated

Post by antiatavist » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:40 am

Hi, will I have a quiet PC(1m distance) with this configuration:

MBO ASUS Z87-K
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K, OC-ed to 4GHz
CPU cooler Hyper 212 EVO
GPU Nvidia GTX 770(which brand?)
PSU Seasonic SS-560KM(this PSU is actually not available in my country, is there a gold+ alternative with a 140mm fan?)
case Fractal Design Define R4
HDD WD 3TB, 30EZRX, Caviar Green
SSD SSD Samsung 250GB 840 EVO Basic

Thanks

Abula

Re: My potential quiet case, feedback appreciated

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:26 am

Welcome to SPCR.
antiatavist wrote:MBO ASUS Z87-K
CPU Intel Core i5 4670K, OC-ed to 4GHz
PSU Seasonic SS-560KM(this PSU is actually not available in my country, is there a gold+ alternative with a 140mm fan?)
case Fractal Design Define R4
HDD WD 3TB, 30EZRX, Caviar Green
SSD SSD Samsung 250GB 840 EVO Basic
All solid choices.
antiatavist wrote:CPU cooler Hyper 212 EVO
The 212 is a fine budget cooler, but imo if you can spare some money for a better cooler, i would go with Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Cooler: Scythe Strikes Back.
antiatavist wrote:GPU Nvidia GTX 770(which brand?)
Seems MSI have balanced very well noise and temperature in this gen, so this would be my pic, check the following review for details, TechPowerUP MSI GTX 770 TwinFrozr Gaming 2 GB.
antiatavist wrote:PSU Seasonic SS-560KM(this PSU is actually not available in my country, is there a gold+ alternative with a 140mm fan?)
I would check for Corsair RM550.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks, I guess SCYTHE Mugen4 PCGH Edition isn't that much of a difference in price. I think with all that and fan xpert 2 I might be able to have a completely silent PC when not gaming, for the first time in my life!

Also, I did a lot of research on the speaker system and I concluded that GigaWorks T40 Series II is the best one, what do you think?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:15 pm

antiatavist wrote:Thanks, I guess SCYTHE Mugen4 PCGH Edition isn't that much of a difference in price.
The PCGH edition is different from the one reviewed by SPCR, i think the change is that it comes with two Scythe Glidestream 3pin fans instead of the single Glidestream 4pin PWM fan. If you decide to go with this edition, then enter the bios go into Fan settings, search for the CPU_FAN header and change the Q-FAN from "Auto" to "Advanced", this will make the PWM header become a voltage controlled header, and should control the included fans, if you dont do this change the fans will run at 12V always (as 4pin PWM headers/fans are design to always run 12V).
antiatavist wrote:Also, I did a lot of research on the speaker system and I concluded that GigaWorks T40 Series II is the best one, what do you think?
I cant say much about those speakers as i haven't tested them.

antiatavist

Post by antiatavist » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 am

What is this issue with fans always running at 12v?
So, you are saying if it is on auto fan xpert 2 would not be able to properly control all of that?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:05 am

antiatavist wrote:What is this issue with fans always running at 12v?
Well most of the time, depending on the fans themselves, they are louder at 12V, not saying the Glidestream are but its nice to be able to undervolt (in your case with fanXpert2) them or control them via PWM, at least under light load or idle, so you end up with quieter setup. Todays intel cpus they generate very little heat on idle or very light conditions, they do run hot under load, so having control based on the temperature of the CPU is ideal to have the most quiet setup under the circumstances its facing.
antiatavist wrote:So, you are saying if it is on auto fan xpert 2 would not be able to properly control all of that?
I think you are confusing what the word means with a the "name" that Asus assign to a bios function. Auto doesnt mean its automatic, just means the fan header is setup for PWM fan control, aka 4pin. Advanced, the other "name" that Asus gave to the setting on the Q-Fan on the bios, is simply to not control the fans with PWM control, but to change the settings to voltage control, in plan terms it will undervolt them. Overall both work fine, i personally prefer PWM as i usually search for fans that have a huger range of PWM rpms, but this is not to say the 3pins are bad or inferior, its just a different way to control the fans, both work really well, given you chose the correct fans and settings on the bios.