My P180 is getting old

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

TWD

My P180 is getting old

Post by TWD » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

I have a P180 that I bought way back when they first came out. It's worked well for me, but it's just getting too old. It doesn't fit new components as well, and the front is completely destroyed.

My machine is a ASUS P8P97, with 2500k+ processor, MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II videocard, Scythe Katana 4 for the CPU fan, and 2 hard drives (one SSD and one regular).

I've looked at the P183, but I'm thinking maybe I need something a little smaller. I use the machine for gaming (Planetside 2) and audio production. I'm not overclocking or anything, and I don't come even close to using all the space in the P180. It's a monster, and it's starting to become cumbersome when moving it around. I just want something as quiet as possible to reduce the amount of noise my Blue Yeti microphone picks up.

CA_Steve

Re: My P180 is getting old

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Did you mean Asus ASUS P8P67? Which variant?

If it's an ATX mobo, then Antec Solo II comes to mind.

If it's an m-ATX mobo, then Fractal Define Mini and Silverstone TJ08-E come to mind.

Reviews are on-site.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:11 am

If you're sticking with an ATX motherboard then you're not going to find anything drastically smaller and in general the more expensive ATX cases keep getting bigger and bigger! On the other hand if you want to go MicroATX there are cases much, much smaller.

Xyvotha

Post by Xyvotha » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 am

Hi, I had a similar setup ([email protected]/GTX680/2xSSD/1xHDD/Noctua NH-U12P) in a P182 and last year moved all to a Solo II. I'm very happy with its smaller volume while still comfortable to manipulate components inside.

I've tried other case brands for clients (NZXT H2, Corsair 550D, CM 690 II) and believe me, the Solo II has the Antec quality you'd expect.

Acoustics are very similar (after sealing the top vent, same as I did with the P182) and temps are good.

Epilogue: good old P182 has become a quiet home file server :)