Fractal Design Node 804

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

late2bed

Fractal Design Node 804

Post by late2bed » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:50 pm

This is an interesting looking cube-style micro-ATX case.

- accommodates a total of 10 drives (!)
- accommodates eight 3.5 inch drives, & two 2.5 inch drives
- there are two additional spaces for drives (3.5 or 2.5 inch) (total of 10 3.5 or 2.5 inch drives)
- it has a similar drive mounting system as the Node 304 (its 'little brother')
- clever mount for a slot loaded optical drive (positioned vertically behind the front bevel)
- accommodates mini-ITX or micro-ATX motherboards
- dual chamber design - 1) motherboard, and 2) drives/power supply
- fan controller
- relatively understated design
- only available in black
- dimensions: 344 x 307 x 389 mm

Reviews:
Legit Reviews (great pictures!)
Positive reviews on newegg :)
Fractal Design web site

Images (from the Legit Reviews review):
Fractal-Design-Node-804-Exterior-Side-Window-645x527.jpg
Next to the Node 304:
Node-804-and-304-Side-by-Side-645x351.jpg
Anyone tried this case? Would be curious to know what the noise/vibration is like when loaded with 6 or more 3.5 inch drives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

duncanmcbryde

Re: Fractal Design Node 804

Post by duncanmcbryde » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Looks great! I have the Node 304 and love it. In that hard drive noise is pretty loud but only due to me having a loud drive and the case having no acoustic padding. I've cheated by making the drive spin down after 10 mins though

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 am

I'm not one for making new threads, so I'll comment here.

This thread made me aware of the Node 804, and I've subsequently researched and ordered parts for a build involving this case. The review that pushed me over the edge was this one: http://goughlui.com/2014/09/22/review-f ... uter-case/

"Even with the mixture of hard disks in the system, the drives sounded very quiet with the vibrations quite effectively damped out by the rubber grommets. Even my HP Microserver with just one hard drive was more noticeable than this one with five!. All of the panels fitted well, and no resonance vibrations were audible."

After having my quiet drives suspended in a tower case, this was music to my ears. I'll see in a couple of weeks if it's actually true or not. Will update/post here with my findings.

For those interested in the build:

Case: Fractal Design Node 804
MB: MSI Z97M-G43
CPU: Intel i5 4690K
RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Cooler: Scythe Kotetsu

Reusing PSU, HDDs and GPU (HD6850 *cry*) from current build.

Hammy

Post by Hammy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:06 am

So I built in this case a few nights ago. In response to the OP, I only have 3 mechanical drives to test with, but IMHO the resonance is noticeable. You know the sound - the OMMMM... OMMMM... OMMMM.

The drives are 2xHD204UI and 1xWD30EFRX. With just the two former drives in, the resonance is almost non-existant, but the WD30EFRX has a slightly annoying pulsing to it. I guess I have been spoilt having drives suspended with stretch magic in a tower case for 6 years :P. It is a minor complaint though, and I think with a little time and patience you could suppress it to a reasonable level. Also, the 3 stock fans are surprisingly quiet on the lowest setting.

No regrets about changing to this case. Quality feels really good and lots of different options for the tinkerers out there. If anyone wants to know something about the case let me know.