Indirect airflow path for case fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

lafeeverte

Indirect airflow path for case fans

Post by lafeeverte » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:56 am

Hello SPCR!

I have a very quiet Antec Solo configuration (thanks to SPCR!) with the following setup:
- Intel i3-4130 & Scythe Mugen 2 rev. b
- MSI GTX 750 ti Gaming
- 2x Coolink Swif2-92P PWM case front intake
- only SSD (no HDD)

While this is sufficient in terms of performance/noise I would like to make my own smaller case and attach it to my desk freeing floor space. I might even build a new setup inside the desk but that would require new low profile cooler for cpu and tilt configuration for gpu.

My question is that will the airflow suffer if I leave some space between the intake hole and the intake fan and make the path of air curved? I'm thinking this option because I assume it would dampen the noise coming out of that hole? What about different material choices in that curved tube/hole?

NeilBlanchard

Re: Indirect airflow path for case fans

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 am

Hello and welcome to SPCR,

I don't think that an intake duct, curved or not would reduce the noise. I think you would do better to mimic the baffle on the front of the Solo instead. It comes down to sound going around a corner vs the air flow having to change direction. Another consideration is the space used to accomplish it.

You could possibly look at the Silverstone Fortress FT-02 as a model for the configuration?

lafeeverte

Re: Indirect airflow path for case fans

Post by lafeeverte » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 pm

First I must say that I'm certainly no expert in acoustics and airflow but imagine a meter long duct where at the other end there would be a fan. Now which end do you think would be noisier? I think it would be the fan side. I also think that would apply even more if the duct is curved 90 degree (evenly or in a sharp angle) and the inner material of the duct is soundproofing.

If my reasoning is correct then there is the question of airflow and material inside the duct?

I'll attach a picture of my desk so you'll get some substance in the matter. I'm planning to attach the DIY case in the red area and airflow is probably going to be sideways from right to left.
SPCR_desk_new_case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.