Blocking/Damping a Corsair 350D

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

figment

Blocking/Damping a Corsair 350D

Post by figment » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:47 am

A bit early to make final decisions, but I was curious about other experiences:

For now, I'm planning on buying a Corsair 350D for a December build of a mATX gaming/development system. For the first three years of its life, it will house a gaming video card (GTX 770 to start), for the last three it will trade the video card for a 2-3TB HDD and continue on as Linux server. Other than that, it will have one or two SSDs, an overclocked 4690K with air cooling (Phanteks PH-TC12DX, most likely), and a hybrid PSU. I'm planning on dual, voltage-controlled 140mm intakes to generate reasonable levels of positive pressure.

Noise should not be a big issue, but the 770 does produce a hum, and there will be four fans in the case. I'm interested in seeing what I can do to minimize the annoyance from them. Here was the initial plan:
  • All SSD/HDDs would be installed into the 5.25 bays using drive adapters. They won't get much air up there, but they won't be near any sources of heat, so it shouldn't matter... I think.
  • Airflow is strictly front-to-back, and I'll be blocking off the top vents (for other reasons as well). I thought of either MDF or foam board with some leftover acoustic foam covering the inside surface. I'd like to keep the possibility of opening this up in the future, so I was hoping to use either velcro (foam board) or bolts through the fan mounts (MDF).
  • I'll be removing all of the SSD drive bays to improve airflow.
  • I'll be removing the bottom drive cage, too. I'm considering constructing a mild duct (just a ramp, really) to both hide the PSU cords and gently direct air toward the video card. I'd likely use similar materials to the previous point.
  • I won't be getting the windowed side panel, and instead I'll be using more of the acoustic foam around the video card area. I have this in my current case and it does reduce the most annoying frequencies from the video card.
Note: I am under no impression that this is going to stop all noise. The goal is to minimize, not eliminate. I'm not foolish enough to think that some foam and MDF will stop the hum of my 770 under gaming loads. However, if I can spend $10 and a few hours of my time to drop the noise of the PC by 2-4 Db for six years, that seems like a good investment.

My questions:

I know MDF is popular for all sorts of damping, but is there a point to using it here? I had considered going so far as to cover some/all of the side panel to add extra weight, but I don't know that there is enough noise to matter. I like its sturdiness, but if its not going to matter at all, I might like the convenience of working with foam board and a utility knife even better.

What is a good way of keeping the foam board / MDF in place on the top. Velcro seems easy for foam board, but for MDF the bolts are are pretty much required, right? Is there some other method I should consider? Double sided tape? I have some glass tape handy, though that would be a fairly permanent solution.

Will the SSDs and HDDs be fine in the 5.25 bays? If they truly will overheat, I can install a fan in the front half of the top panel duct a bit of its air toward them.

Would the foam board/MDF need the acoustic foam or not. Years ago, the general advice was to avoid large smooth surfaces near things that generated noise. Am I just wasting my acoustic foam by using it on the top/bottom?