BQ Silent Base 800 VS Fractal Define R5 VS Silverstone FT05

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gizmonatus

BQ Silent Base 800 VS Fractal Define R5 VS Silverstone FT05

Post by gizmonatus » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:25 am

Hello,

I'm looking forward to building a new rig aimed at multimedia (audio + video) editing. The computer will be connected to an Hi-Fi audio installation in a very silent studio room with HQ monitors.

My experience from previous rigs tells me that I could silence almost everything except for HDD vibes/hum. I was working with Lian Li aluminium cases then (V1100 and B25S were the last ones I had) and silent enclosures and acoustic foam never completely got rid of these.

I will almost certainly use a RAID of 2 (maybe 4 in a close future) 6To WD Red (or Green) for data + Samsung 850 Pro SSD for OS & Programs.

So basically, the 2 first cases look very promising from the reviews I've read and I wan't to have your opinion of these options, especially about their HDD mounting system. Fans, internal components and price are not an issue. The Silverstone was also on my mind before the BQ and Fractal cases were released.

Thank you for your time and for your advice!

antiatavist

Re: BQ Silent Base 800 VS Fractal Define R5 VS Silverstone F

Post by antiatavist » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:07 am

I've been also looking into those three cases, my conclusion:

Silent Base 800 is much better in cooling and silence than Define R5, default 3 very silent fans and smartly resolved heat dissipation.

Silverstone FT05 is the best of them all but costs twice as much.