Lian Li O-series - Mobo and GPU side-by-side

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Cistron

Lian Li O-series - Mobo and GPU side-by-side

Post by Cistron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 am

Hi folks,

http://www.lian-li.com/en/lian-li-launc ... e-chassis/

I thought this might be an interesting concept to discuss: The graphics card is mounted next to the mainboard with fans facing up. I think this can possibly solve a lot of issues with heat accumulating under the card. And just think about unimpeded top/bottom air-flow.

I don't care much for the tempered glass and the price is rather lofty.

Pip-pip,
Mike

Cistron

Re: Lian Li O-series - Mobo and GPU side-by-side

Post by Cistron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:56 am

What could have been better:

* shift the front-vents to the GPU side of the case
* less space behind the mobo, more height for the main chamber

Not sure how the exhaust fan _behind_ the mobo-tray works. Very peculiar.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 am

cool. very similar to a project ive been kicking around, but much more pricy. :shock:

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:50 am

Where can I buy that PCIe riser?

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:59 am

xan_user wrote:cool. very similar to a project ive been kicking around, but much more pricy. :shock:
Got pics? My latest thought was to mod a NSK3480 for a new m-ITX PC.

@boost: search for PCIe riser ribbon/cable. I couldn't find any reviews that recommended a certain cable over another. Some just don't work, but more commonly they function fine when the PCIe spec is dropped from e.g. 3.0 to 2.0.

boost

Post by boost » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 am

Cistron wrote:@boost: search for PCIe riser ribbon/cable. I couldn't find any reviews that recommended a certain cable over another. Some just don't work, but more commonly they function fine when the PCIe spec is dropped from e.g. 3.0 to 2.0.
I did, but couldn't find a riser that long and facing left towards the cpu, so the graphic card's cooler faces up.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 am

Cistron wrote:
xan_user wrote:cool. very similar to a project ive been kicking around, but much more pricy. :shock:
Got pics? My latest thought was to mod a NSK3480 for a new m-ITX PC.
not yet, still deciding on what case I want to cannibalize...
one idea is modular, using 2 m350 type cases. the other route is a 19" itx server case, or HTPC case.

longest flexible riser ive found is a 320mm 16x on ebay. BTW 16x is basically pointless for one card. id love to find a 4x or 8x cable that is 300mm+ long... Also, connecting a couple of risers should not adversely affect performance (-I read that on the interwebs somewhere).

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:14 am

boost wrote:I did, but couldn't find a riser that long and facing left towards the cpu, so the graphic card's cooler faces up.
That's because if it just faces left the fans would point towards the motherboard tray (if I understand you correctly). In these O-series cases they actually moved the slot onto the bottom of the case. All the PCIe ribbon cables I saw so far have mounting holes on their little PCBs. So this could be accomplished as well.
xan_user wrote:BTW 16x is basically pointless for one card. id love to find a 4x or 8x cable that is 300mm+ long... Also, connecting a couple of risers should not adversely affect performance (-I read that on the interwebs somewhere).
I don't think I follow your train of thought there. Why would you not want 16x for say a graphics card? Would you like to split the lanes? From what I've read this would require a switch somewhere along the way.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:30 am

I don't think I follow your train of thought there. Why would you not want 16x for say a graphics card? Would you like to split the lanes? From what I've read this would require a switch somewhere along the way.
- it doesn't matter now, i already ordered the 16x riser. :wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:43 pm

FYI, current video cards cannot saturate the PCIe 8x slot. There have been many tests comparing performance on 8x vs 16x slot. iirc, perhaps monster dual GPU cards see some wee advantage, but that's about it.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:50 pm

MikeC wrote:FYI, current video cards cannot saturate the PCIe 8x slot. There have been many tests comparing performance on 8x vs 16x slot. iirc, perhaps monster dual GPU cards see some wee advantage, but that's about it.
on of our other favorite cannuk's sayz,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctaLgK5stA