Making a Corsair 750D more quiet

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bose321

Making a Corsair 750D more quiet

Post by Bose321 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 am

Hi all!

I'm new here, so please go easy on me. :oops:

Yesterday I've bought a 750D to replace my HAF932, because I didn't like the looks anymore, and the cable management in the 750D (together with the clever SSD mounting) is so nice.

My HAF932 used to have a fan controller to slow down the 3 230MM fans. As soon as my two HDD's spun down, it was quite quiet (see what I did there?).

However, the 750D seems to be loooouudddd. The 3 stock 140MM fans seem to make a hell of a noise together. Do any of you think there would be something I can do? Maybe use some sound dampening or something else?

Obviously I will have to get other fans, or make these spin slower as well. When I turn the fans to around 60-70% in Speedfan the sound level of the case gets acceptable. I was wondering, when I put a 7v adapter between the 3 fans, what kind of percentage on 12v would that relate to? Would my airflow still be enough?

The other option would be to check for new fans perhaps? Any suggestions (anything white, black, or white and black)?

Mod: Merging two similar posts into this one thread

Today I've received a brand new Corsair 750D to replace my HAF932. I was very impressed by the looks, but not so much by the noise of the stock fans! There are currently 3 140MM fans from Corsair them, and I've connected them via the motherboard. When they're controlled at 60-70% (via Speedfan) they're acceptable IMO, but at 100% they're just way too loud.

In my HAF932 I used to have a fan controller, but I don't want to put in anything in the front panel of this case, because that ruins the looks IMO.

So as far as I see there are basically two options: get a 7V adapter to lower the speeds of the stock fans, or get new fans.

I'm about to buy 3 7V adapters for cheap, so that I can try how that is, but I'm not sure if that's enough (considering the stock fans being acceptable at 60% in Speedfan), so I might look for something else.

I've been digging around the internet all day for some other case fans, and I think I found two good ones: The Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition, and the Phanteks PH-F140. I've seen good things about the Noctua fans as well, but the colour scheme is a definite deal breaker for me.

So to summarize it: Which fans should I get? One of these two, or maybe something else? I'm open for suggestions as long the fan is in black, white, or a combination of black and white. The main goal here is low noise, while keeping enough airflow. I guess silence isn't possible, but I want to get as close to it as possible. I've gotten rid of all HDD's, my CPU cooler is passive, and the GPU is silent as well.

quest_for_silence

Re: Making a Corsair 750D more quiet

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:47 am

Bose321 wrote:I've been digging around the internet all day for some other case fans, and I think I found two good ones: The Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition

The Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition aka AF140L should be the *stock* fan on the Obsidian 750D: check twice.

Bose321

Post by Bose321 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am

Really? From what I understood is that the QE is in fact different from the stock fans. But if they're the same it wouldn't be a smart move to buy QE's ofcourse. Would you know if the stock fans in the 750D still provide enough airflow if they're running at 7V? I'm not sure what RPM that would give them...

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Bose321 wrote:Really? From what I understood is that the QE is in fact different from the stock fans.

I used the conditional tense: check twice. For example double check either the fans current, or their maximum speed.
Whether those figures were different, even if the fans seem to share the same code "AF140L", they will be indeed two different fans.