Foam insulation tape

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

menancewhite

Foam insulation tape

Post by menancewhite » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:05 am

A few years ago I went looking around for some dampening for my old antec sonata case and simply got recommended buying simple foam insulation tape.

This is what I ended up getting and simply slapping some of that onto the sideplates turned to work out pretty well. It's nothing fancy - the thickness of it is around 3 mm, but you can simply stick on multiple layers of it if you want thicker dampening. The biggest deal is that an entire roll of cost me less than a hamburger and was more than enough to cover both sideplates plus front.

So compared to something like this, would it be right to simply call most of those "acoustic" dampening foams ripoffs?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Foam insulation tape

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:52 pm

The only thing foam is good for is to dampen vibrations. Like you can put a HDD on a foam pillow in the bottom of the case. Acoustic dampening foams is perhaps useful in a few special situations, but usually just building with quiet components is easier. No need for the stuff imo.

menancewhite

Re: Foam insulation tape

Post by menancewhite » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:18 am

Thought I'd post an picture of how it looks like with the tape applied onto the side plates.

It might be a little hard to see but I've covered most of the surface with vertical stripes and the 3 horizontal stripes which goes over the side of the GPU as well as hard drives.