What to use for the inside of my PC external wooden box?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Max Dread

What to use for the inside of my PC external wooden box?

Post by Max Dread » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Hi all

My PC is housed in a PaQ case which does a pretty good job of keeping the noise down. But it is not silent. Plus, I want to be able to move my PC when needed and I therefore want to add wheels to the bottom of it.

So the plan is to make a box to slide the PC in to. There would be a top bottom and two sides, but the back and from would be open. Wheels on the bottom. I can't imagine this would cause any problems with heat, but if anyone thinks it might then please let me know.

What I would like to do is line the inside of the case with something to A) Dampen any last remaining sound, from vibration in particular, and B) To allow the PC to sit nice and snug in the box.

I wondered what would be the best thing to use... Neoprene? Sorbothane? Something else? I've never worked with any of that kind of stuff before so it is all new to me. Any suggestions as to what would be best would be great, and any ideas as to where to get it from (as cheaply as possible) would be a huge bonus. I am in the UK.

Many thanks

Cistron

Re: What to use for the inside of my PC external wooden box?

Post by Cistron » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:36 pm

If the case-airflow is just front to back (only found the PaQ cases in old links), then the enclosure you envisioned shouldn't change the cooling capabilities. Dampening in this case would only be useful to reduce vibrations that might be passed onto the wooden enclosure. Why not just put some soft feet onto the bottom of the case and plop that onto a wheeled platform (or put the wheels straight onto the case)?