Help Build Silent PC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sexpot

Help Build Silent PC

Post by sexpot » Tue May 05, 2015 11:59 am

Hello SPCR,

I've gone around the world in terms of pc cooling and now and looking to make a return trip home, back to air! I'm currently running a custom water cooled matx build with 2x 240mm rads and d5 pump. Initially, I thought going water would be my solution to high temps and loud fans, and it did do one of two things properly which was lower temps. However, with the introduction of rads and pumps, noise has definitely gone up!

I'm looking to part out my water cooling system and rebuild all air, this time optimizing for a mild oc with silence being key. I have a general idea of what I want to build around, but would like some help from those with more experience.

Hardware:

Cpu - 4790k
Video - Asus GTX 970 Strix or MSI Twinfrozr GTX 970 (Both offer silent operation mode)
Ram - DDR3 8GB
Motherboard - ??? Suggest a z97 matx (leaning on Asus z97m-Plus)
Sound - Sound Blaster Z *Preowned
PSU - Corsair AX650 *Preowned
CPU Cooler - ??? Leaning towards Noctua NH-D15
Case - Silverstone TJ08E *Preowned
Fan Controller - Lamptron FC Touch
Fans - A bunch of Scythe GT15's

With the case, I plan to layer the panels with Acoustipak where possible and run the 180mm fan off the Lamptron. Ideally, I'd like to de-lid the cpu and use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro and OC the cpu to 4.5GHz. Does this sound feasible as a "silent" pc? I can tolerate some noise while gaming as I'll most likely be using headphones or turn my speakers up, but when idle and listening to music/streaming shows, I'd like not to hear fans, pump, radiator noise etc.

Thanks for reading this wall of text, any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

CA_Steve

Re: Help Build Silent PC

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

Here's a 10,00ft question before we dive down to sea level with component choices: Do you want to go mATX because you have a case at hand or because it's size is required for the location or just because you want to go mATX? The reason I ask is because you are throwing in a lot of modifications to this existing case (fan controller, acoustipak, new case fans) when maybe you could just go stock with a new case and it would meet your needs..

Unless you have specific games that make use of hyperthreading, the sweet spot for gaming is an i5.

Sound card: what are your outputs? Maybe you don't need this card (if it's just driving digital out, for example) or perhaps there's better solutions.

Cooler: Check out the Scythe Kotetsu review and then compare to the NH-D15. On a 125W TDP CPU, the Kotetsu outperforms the Noctua for both lowest noise levels and thermal performance with sinlge fan, and even with two fans, the Noctua is a mixed bag.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Micro ATX will mean that the 16x will be on first PCIe slot, this can conflict with a cooler like Noctua NH-D15, in most cases it passes the first pcie slot, its fine for ATX motherboards as long as you dont use the first 1x (that most motherbaords come with), but in your case i think it will be an issue. Even my HR02 was extremly close to the gpu when i used to run a TJ08-E. My suggestion is go with a narrower cooler, Sychte Kotetsu is a great option, cheap, efficient and should be a good soution for having some room between the CPU cooler and the first PCIe slot (in most cases in 16x in matx).

The other components seems fine.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Tue May 05, 2015 2:04 pm

monica~

I knew it was a good idea to come to this forum, you're asking good questions which I hope I can fully answer. I went with the Silverstone TJ08E because when I looked in my closet of puter nick nacks, I found it (TJ08), a Lian Li PC-A05N or Node 804. I went with the smallest footprint as I'll be moving out soon and desktop space is limited at the new apartment. Also included in the closet was a bunch of left over acoustipak, the lamptron fan controller so that's all there for the picking already.

I want to stay with the matx form factor due to my gaming needs. My headphones require a decent amp to drive, which no onboard sound has yet to meet my requirements. The AKG 701's were quite expensive when I purchased them so the Sound Blaster Z will need to stay. With that said, the i7 will also stay as it's more of a cherry on top :)

As far as the CPU Cooler, I honestly have no idea. I just put the D15 in there as it's what I see most thrown around other forums. I just want to cram the biggest, baddest, quietest cooler I can fit. My only requirements are that the first PCIe slot is available for the video card due to the sound card requirement in the secondary slots.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 05, 2015 3:34 pm

If the source is music, I'd drive those AKG's with an external DAC/headphone amp rather than an internal sound card. If the source is a video game, then it doesn't matter..and rummaging around in a closet is always fun.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Wed May 06, 2015 6:18 am

Music/movies come in as a very low second priority, I usually play those with my 2.1 speaker setup going through the sound card. The main use of the SBZ is for the in game enhancements such as virtual surround and amp. Gaming wise, the AKGs feel as if I'm cheating in CSGO, it's just too good to pass up when paired with a SBZ or ZXR.

Last night I was looking for the Kotetsu in Canada, only amazon had it in stock for $90!! Went to ebay and took the hit for $80 after usd to cad conversion + shipping/brokerage. Sad it's such a markup to get here in Canada, but it is what it is. With this cooler, it looks as though the first PCIe slot won't be an issue anymore, which will lead to more options for a higher end motherboard.

As Abula mentioned earlier, most higher end motherboards have fitment issues with the D14/15 blocking the first PCIe slot. The only ones I was able to find info on working are the lower value models. ASRock Z97M Anniversary, ASRock Z97M Pro4, Asus Z97M-Plus are confirmed working with both D14/15.

Next step is to order an Asus Strix GTX 970. Transfer my existing hardware into the TJ08E for the time being and sell what I can. I might hold off on z97 and wait for skylake. Not sure what AMD's eta is for the 3xx series cards, might do some research and find out. If it's soon soon as in a few weeks to a month, I may wait for that release and see if Nvidia's line up drops in price a little :)

Edit - What kind of brackets are you guys using to install a second fan for Push/Pull configuration on the Scythe Kotetsu? I read the packaging and it only comes with 1 set of brackets. Zip ties??!

Ps - I'm not a bot! Please release me from the constraints of forum posting!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed May 06, 2015 6:26 am

sexpot wrote:Edit - What kind of brackets are you guys using to install a second fan for Push/Pull configuration on the Scythe Kotetsu? I read the packaging and it only comes with 1 set of brackets. Zip ties??!
I would use it as it comes, what i would do is add the 120mm fan on the back of the TJ08E, should act very close to a pull push setup.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 am

I'll try it with 1 fan first. I have a couple Scythe GT 1850's I'll see what works better on that heatsink vs stock fan :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 am

Forum moderation only happens for the first 2 posts. :)

Bummer about the egregious pricing up north.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 07, 2015 6:37 am

sexpot wrote:Edit - What kind of brackets are you guys using to install a second fan for Push/Pull configuration on the Scythe Kotetsu? I read the packaging and it only comes with 1 set of brackets. Zip ties??!

In Europe you can order a second Glidestream fan (I think it's different from retail one) with the relevant brackets directly from Scythe (and for a modest amount of money): ask to Scythe USA if they can do the same for you. Whether they can't help you, take note that temp-wise it doesn't worth any hassle.

sexpot wrote:Ps - I'm not a bot!
Maybe moderation hates females and/or explicit nicknames.

[Moderator: I hate specious suggestions that may only inflame the userbase. :)]

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 am

Anyone know if the lower hard drive cage for the Fractal Define Mini is riveted in? Or can I unscrew it from the bottom of the case. Also, hoping they come out with a matx version of the define s =)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 12, 2015 7:44 am

sexpot wrote:Anyone know if the lower hard drive cage for the Fractal Define Mini is riveted in? Or can I unscrew it from the bottom of the case.
As far as I know all the cages are removable.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
sexpot wrote:Anyone know if the lower hard drive cage for the Fractal Define Mini is riveted in? Or can I unscrew it from the bottom of the case.
As far as I know all the cages are removable.
Correction: actually the lower one should be riveted.

dr_traktor

Post by dr_traktor » Tue May 12, 2015 8:54 am

sexpot wrote:Anyone know if the lower hard drive cage for the Fractal Define Mini is riveted in? Or can I unscrew it from the bottom of the case. Also, hoping they come out with a matx version of the define s =)
I have the Define Mini, and they are riveted in. You can use a drill to remove them, which may have been the case on the picture linked by quest_for_silence.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Tue May 12, 2015 10:47 am

ah that slanted GPU, driving me nuts :mrgreen: :lol:
My thinking is to remove that lower cage to reduce air flow resistance for more silence. Thanks for letting me know it's riveted in :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 am

sexpot wrote:ah that slanted GPU, driving me nuts

Hang it from the roof.

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am

Change of build slightly. Ended up buying a 5820k and Corsair DDR4 3000 ram, Asrock x99m Fatal1ty Killer. Still plan on getting a Strix GTX 970.

New Hardware:

Cpu - 5820k
Video - Asus GTX 970 Strix (Haven't purchased yet)
Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CAS15
Motherboard - Asrock Fatal1ty x99M Killer
Sound - Sound Blaster Z *Preowned
PSU - Corsair AX650 *Preowned
CPU Cooler - Scythe Kotetsu Push+Pull Config /w Scythe GT15's
Case - Silverstone TJ08E *Preowned
Fan Controller - Lamptron FC Touch *Preowned
Fans - A bunch of Scythe GT15's *Preowned

Question, will the Kotetsu be able to handle the 140W TDP of the 5820k overclocked to 4.5GHZ?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:32 am

sexpot wrote:Question, will the Kotetsu be able to handle the 140W TDP of the 5820k overclocked to 4.5GHZ?
Probably it isn't the best candidate (given that to reach 4.5GHz you have to use more than 1.2V for vcore).

sexpot

Post by sexpot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm expecting anywhere from 1.3v - 1.35v to reach 4.5ghz... looks like i'll have to wait for canada to get the noctua nh-d15s :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:37 pm

Or, you could go with the beefier Ninja 4 - add another 120mm for push pull.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:48 pm

sexpot wrote:looks like i'll have to wait for canada to get the noctua nh-d15s :)

Cannot say anything about the Ninja 4 (mine is on the way) but, more probably that not, the NH-C14S is better than its twin towers sibling NH-D15S.