Noob question about GPUs and case positions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

LazyBoy

Noob question about GPUs and case positions

Post by LazyBoy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:27 am

I've built server and integrated graphics machines, but never anything with a serious GPU. I'm contemplating a micro-ATX game machine with a GTX 970.

Anyway, it appears that in the preferred, cards-near-the-bottom style case, the GPU fans are blowing down at a PSU?? I don't get it. Where's that hot air supposed to go?

Also, do you think it's possible to have a quiet mini-ITX gamer with a GTX 970 and without liquid cooling?

Thanks,
LB

Quinnbeast

Re: Noob question about GPUs and case positions

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Typically they draw air from inside the case and blow it down across the heat sink and some of the PCB components of the card itself. The blower style cards (typically Nvidia/AMD reference designs) will expel some of the air out of a rear exhaust but can be noticeably louder and will run a bit hotter. Many of the non-reference designs will be cooler and quieter, but tend to let more air spill out into the case (better for systems with at least moderate airflow).

Given that there are a few guides up on SPCR form ITX builds, I suggest that it is in fact possible ;)

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section6.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Quiet_Min ... uild_Guide

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks for the airflow info.

Of the recent mITX builds, though. One is water cooled and two are pretty large -- basically micro-ATX size.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Yeah. Small, quiet, powerful. Pick two. :)

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:55 am

Ah, I see your point. Are you thinking more of shuttle-sized cases? The main sticking point for me would probably be the PSU rather than airflow; I'm not sure if I'd want to build a system off the current crop of SFX units (i.e. with a 970 in mind).

Now, if I could hook one up to a Pico...

*cough*