Help: silent, "shielded", mATX case to be put ontop the desk

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

galgo

Help: silent, "shielded", mATX case to be put ontop the desk

Post by galgo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:06 am

Hello everyone,
Due to a new "mobile" baby in the house - I need to raise my teenagers "gaming" rig on top of the desk.
We'll utilize our existing HW but I'd like to replace the generic case to something less noisy, should be a bit "EMI" shielded (which became a major concern of my wife... 8) ), good "dust" protection and easy filter access, and since there is a limited space on the desk - should be as compact as possible.

The space on the desktop is about 15"-16" back to front (will need to accommodate cable connections as well..)
And about 12"-13" wide, assuming the case is place to the side of the screen (if it's a small vertical tower/cube style).
Alternatively, I can go for a "slim" HTPC style case , and place it below the screen - but it'll need to withstand the weight of a 24" SAMSUNG LCD and be slim enough so the screen won't be too high.

Our HW is:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K + scythe shuriken big 2 cooler (i'll consider replacing the cooler if needed).
MB: ASUS Maximus IV GeneZ mATX Socket 1155, Z68 (9.6" X 9.6" )
GPU: ASUS enGTX560Ti (dual slot, 10.16 " x 5.12 ")
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W Modular ATX PSU
Optical: 5.25" CD/DVD burner (LG) - (I'll consider replacing with a slim drive if absolutely necessary...)
Storage: 1X 3.5" HD (Caviar Green 1TB)
1X 2.5" SSD (SAMSUNG 840)

I was thinking about something like the ANTEC Mini P180 or one of the smaller cube style cases I see out there - I'm just not sure which one will accommodate my HW and supply enough noise+EMI shielding in a small form factor as possible.
Also, i'm not too familiar with a slim, horizontal case that will fit the dimensions, yet, contain my HW (especially the 5.25" drive, GPU and PSU).

Any recommendations?

Thank you for your help,
Gal

edh

Re: A silent, "shielded", mATX case to be put on-top the des

Post by edh » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:18 am

Perhaps a Silverstone TJ08E?

Why has EMI shielding suddenly become a concern?

galgo

Re: A silent, "shielded", mATX case to be put on-top the des

Post by galgo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 am

edh wrote:Perhaps a Silverstone TJ08E?

Why has EMI shielding suddenly become a concern?
The TJ08E looks fine, but a bit too "deep" - only leaves 0.5cm for cables etc...
Also, a bit too big generally - I don't need that much storage space..
So I'll look for something smaller, preferably with a front "door" and a bit more sound dampening...

Regarding the EMI concern.. well... you'll have to ask my wife.. :oops:
Probably the fact the PC will sit very close to someones face + the new baby - makes it a bit more sensitive..
(Though I personally think my teenagers brain is way less sensitive to radiation... then some of their "lower" parts... when the PC was located on the floor.. but that's really a different story... ;) )

Anyhow, a good quality, metal framed case, no windows, large openings and preferably a front "door" - will at least give the perception of shielding to satisfy the wife...

Any other suggestions?

quest_for_silence

Re: Help: silent, "shielded", mATX case to be put ontop the

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:41 am

galgo wrote:Any recommendations?
If you may swap the mobo, using a slim optical drive you might go really small with decent results.

Otherwise, the smallest mATX tower in the wild should be the venerable Antec NSK 3480, but it has lots of quirks (it's a doable solution, though it's not a fire and forget option).

Next in size should be the already quoted Silverstone TJ08E, but its cheaper sibling Kublai KL06 is IMO better organized (though deeper).

Cube cases are probably larger than desired, but at any rate I'd look to either the Anidees Ai7m or the Fractal Node 804 (give a look also to SPCR review of the Corsair Carbide Air 240).

galgo

Post by galgo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:16 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
galgo wrote:Any recommendations?
If you may swap the mobo, using a slim optical drive you might go really small with decent results.
Well, I can easily swap the optical drive for a slim or even an external USB drive.... but I won't swap the mobo... so still need the mATX.
quest_for_silence wrote: Otherwise, the smallest mATX tower in the wild should be the venerable Antec NSK 3480, but it has lots of quirks (it's a doable solution, though it's not a fire and forget option).

Next in size should be the already quoted Silverstone TJ08E, but its cheaper sibling Kublai KL06 is IMO better organized (though deeper).
The Antec looks a bit too "cheap" to my taste and i'm not locked on "Tower" cases - though a good sound proofed will be nice if compact enough - how about the Aerocool Dead Silence Cube or something similar (say an Antec P100 style!?), just smaller?
quest_for_silence wrote: Cube cases are probably larger than desired, but at any rate I'd look to either the Anidees Ai7m or the Fractal Node 804 (give a look also to SPCR review of the Corsair Carbide Air 240).
These are nice - but either too big or doesn't seem to be silent enough...

How about the BitFenix cases? The Pandora, Prodigy and Colossus mATX variants seem very nice... (and I won't mind losing the Optical drive if needed..).

Or one of the Silverstone Sugo series (Sugo 10!?) or even the small Fortress Series FT03 ?

These looks very nice to me, I'm just not sure which will provide good sound proofing - any advice?
Gal

galgo

Post by galgo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:01 am

Looking again, the Sugo SG11 might be a better choice for me considering the size... even with a bit of modding to be really quite...

I actually liked the FT03 form factor.. I think with a bit slowing down/replacing the bottom 140mm AP, I might get a very elegant solution - reviews put it in par with the P180 mini performances and sound proofing...

For the compact solution i'm looking for, the SG11 or the FT03 seem to be my current short list... while the TJ08e seem to be a default recommendation I'm getting.. .though a bit large...so I'll try to compare all of these side by side if I'll have an option...

BTW - which CPU cooler will be recommended for these cases? Anything significantly better then my current Shuriken Big 2 ?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 am

galgo wrote:how about the Aerocool Dead Silence Cube or something similar (say an Antec P100 style!?), just smaller?

The Dead Silence Cube (and its close siblings, like DeepCool Steam Castle, NOX Xtreme Coolbay CX, Xigmatek Aquila and probably some others) is not that quiet (cause it's not that cool), not to mention it's larger than a TJ08E.
The P100 is a mid-tower, did you mean the P50?

galgo wrote:These are nice - but either too big or doesn't seem to be silent enough...

Your remarks are not exact: they are smaller for instance than the quoted Aerocool DS, and about "being silent enough", that's just a misconception. There's a lot more than a solid front in a "silent" case.

galgo wrote:How about the BitFenix cases? The Pandora, Prodigy and Colossus mATX variants seem very nice... (and I won't mind losing the Optical drive if needed..).

The Prodigy and Pandora were SPCR tested, the Colossus doesn't look worthy of any second thought.
None of those cases is "small" (the Prodigy is probably the smallest but it's friendly-called "elephant in the room"): the Pandora is 465mm deep, without the cabling.

galgo wrote:Or one of the Silverstone Sugo series (Sugo 10!?) or even the small Fortress Series FT03 ?

The SG09/SG10 are effective options, already tested by SPCR: the FT03 isn't competitive, both cooling-wise and quietness-wise

galgo wrote:I'm just not sure which will provide good sound proofing - any advice?

Sound-proofing is a marketing gimnick: what matters is solid panels/latches/hinges, and strategically designed air intakes. That's why the SG09/10 are solid options, while the FT03 is not that much.

galgo wrote:reviews put it in par with the P180 mini performances and sound proofing...

Not even by mistake the FT03 may tie the P180 mini.

galgo wrote:BTW - which CPU cooler will be recommended for these cases? Anything significantly better then my current Shuriken Big 2 ?

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1462-page6.html

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:16 pm

Some maybe interesting further possibilities (you need to perform your own searches about, particularly about local availability and pricing):
  • Antec ISK600M (though I guess it'd be a bit hot/not so quiet, due to restrictive intakes)
  • Cooltek GT-05
  • Cooltek RM1
  • Raidmax Hyperion (roughly similar to the Anidees Ai7, probably not as cool as this latter given the solid front)

galgo

Post by galgo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Thank you so much for this useful feedback and corrections :wink:

Unfortunately, the TJ08E is not available locally... same with the SG11/12 which looked more appalling to me due to their form factor...or the FT03 which seem to be a bad choice anyhow...
Kublai KL06 is a bit too big for me ...
Cooltek products are very interesting but not available locally ... and I dropped the Bitfenix cases per your feedback...

I'm checking availability of the Raidmax Hyperion - not sure they are availble...

I'm left with SG09/SG10 that are available...
The Antec ISK600M and P50 are also available locally at a decent price, how does they compare with the other options?
Wouldn't the solid Metal side panels of the ISK600M be a bit more "shielded" to the polymer P50 panels (I hope I understood correctly) ?

Which one would you prefer ? and which cooler would be fitted? the Ninja 4 or perhaps an AIO? (which one?)?

Thank you,
Gal

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:12 am

galgo wrote:Cooltek products are very interesting but not available locally

Cooltek enclosures are often available also under the brands Jonsbo and Rosewill outside EU (Cooltek is the european distributor of those enclosures, manufactured in China by Jonsbo).

galgo wrote:and I dropped the Bitfenix cases per your feedback

My negative feedback is only about the Colossus: the Pandora is too deep for your requirements, the Prodigy M is a solid option (mITX outcome), but it's not small (about 41cm tall, IIRC, and a relatively huge volume for a mATX solution), if you're looking for shrinking footprint.

galgo wrote:The Antec ISK600M and P50 are also available locally at a decent price, how does they compare with the other options?
Wouldn't the solid Metal side panels of the ISK600M be a bit more "shielded" to the polymer P50 panels (I hope I understood correctly) ?

The P50 (as well as the P70) is a budget-friendly enclosure, so the ISK should be an higher grade one: about EMI shielding, I can't help, but obviously plastic need to be conductive in order to shield from EMI (and I don't think it's the case of the P50).
With reference to other quoted enclosures, none of two seems on par with the Bitfenix Prodigy M, but they are up to 10cm less tall than it, if that worth for you (take note the ISK600M should be close to the Node 804 dimensions, if those matter).

galgo wrote:Which one would you prefer ? and which cooler would be fitted? the Ninja 4 or perhaps an AIO? (which one?)?

Quietness/cooling wise my preference goes to the Fractal Node 804 and BitFenix Prodigy M: unfortunately they are (they can't be, I'd say) that small. The closed BitFenix Phenom M could offer a better outcome of the appalling lack of ventilation of the BitFenix Phenom ITX tested by SPCR, given the radically different internal design (the same of the Prodigy M), but that's just my own guess.
The SG09/10 offer a very competitive performance, but they're not that small too (roughly similar to the Prodigy), and above all their front fans (AP181) wouldn't look perfectly suitable for a really quiet desktop use (that's mainly why I'd rather the KL06 over the TJ08E).
Then there's the P50 as it's the smallest among those eclosures, with the EMI drawback of the plastic panels (and of its untested cooling prowess).
Quietness-wise my guess is that the ISK600M should come last (but not least) despite the larger volume due to lack of ventilation.
Please take note that personally I wouldn't operate any of the quoted enclosure with the stock fans for a SPCR-like rig: and, by the way, a simple trick with all the enclosures will be to tweak your Nvidia BIOS to lower the minimum fan speed (Google is your friend about that).

About the CPU cooler, providing it fits, the Ninja 4 is the way to go over any AIO (set aside the huge price difference, you can't squeeze a 280mm AIO in those cases, so you can't have a really quiet AIO).

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:55 am

It sounds like you need a floor standing tower case with a locking front door. Maybe an Antec P183...

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:07 pm

How big is your current case?

And I think you need to explain to your wife that EM radiation danger is strongly dependent on its frequency and dose (or just tell her it's safe). Or you might as well start wearing a foil hat.

galgo

Post by galgo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:13 am

Arbutus wrote:It sounds like you need a floor standing tower case with a locking front door. Maybe an Antec P183...
I have a VERY curious and highly active baby... I'm afraid the only effective mitigation is to move everything out of his reach... :lol:
Cistron wrote:How big is your current case?

And I think you need to explain to your wife that EM radiation danger is strongly dependent on its frequency and dose (or just tell her it's safe). Or you might as well start wearing a foil hat.
My current case was a generic Mid tower placed in a small compartment in the desk base.. but that's irrelevant since I had to move it up and out of reach...
Regarding my wife... :oops: I'm actually a medical doctor with deep knowledge in EMI/RF and effects of radiation, even brought an EM meter (LF and HF) to measure and prove to her the levels of radiations in the house... still.. she has her concerns...so.. let's put it gently: "I'm choosing my battles"... :P

quest_for_silence wrote: Cooltek enclosures are often available also under the brands Jonsbo and Rosewill outside EU (Cooltek is the european distributor of those enclosures, manufactured in China by Jonsbo).

I checked, non are available locally... :(
quest_for_silence wrote: My negative feedback is only about the Colossus: the Pandora is too deep for your requirements, the Prodigy M is a solid option (mITX outcome), but it's not small (about 41cm tall, IIRC, and a relatively huge volume for a mATX solution), if you're looking for shrinking footprint.

Apparently, no BitFenix products are available for sale here as well... :?
quest_for_silence wrote: The P50 (as well as the P70) is a budget-friendly enclosure, so the ISK should be an higher grade one: about EMI shielding, I can't help, but obviously plastic need to be conductive in order to shield from EMI (and I don't think it's the case of the P50).
With reference to other quoted enclosures, none of two seems on par with the Bitfenix Prodigy M, but they are up to 10cm less tall than it, if that worth for you (take note the ISK600M should be close to the Node 804 dimensions, if those matter).

Node 804 is being sold here at around X2 the price of either P50 or ISK600M... :cry:

I'll keep looking and consider these options I guess...
Thank you guys for the great support :)
Gal

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:13 am

galgo wrote:Node 804 is being sold here at around X2 the price of either P50 or ISK600M... :cry:

The same goes here, because it's a different (I'd say "better") product: even a Saab/Volvo usually costs more than a Chevy/Ford, right?

Good "luck" for you and your family! :wink:

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:58 am

Choose your battles wisely, one of my friends has a neighbor whose wife has similar issues. First they moved out to the forest (across the street from my friend) and then they clad it in a shell of sheet metal (except the roof).

Firstly, she is crazy, secondly they made a perfectly nice cabin look like a tin can and finally, without a metallic roof, their "shielding" does virtually nothing (even if the only EM out there is AM/FM radio and electric company smart meters).

Any way, don't let that happen to you.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:11 am

This thread is starting to resemble Go Fish. "Got any Jonsbo cases?" No - go fish.

Perhaps you can supply weblinks to your favored Israeli e-tailers and we can see what's available?

Or, try amazonglobal.com for shipments to Israel - although I'd expected the weight of a case makes it an expensive tactic.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:23 am

CA_Steve wrote:"Got any Jonsbo cases?" No - go fish.
This fish? :mrgreen:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:58 am

There's a Kickstarter for everything :)

galgo

Post by galgo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:49 am

Hello again friends...
After a great family vacation abroad, I came back to that build...
Unfortunately local availability, free space and "budget constrains" limit my options to only these :

1) Silverstone Sugo SG09/SG10:
Pro's: Smallest volume of the 3, thinnest, with a slight modification to the top fan direction (invert it to exhaust) seem to be of a decent performance as been tested here already. Support tall CPU coolers like the Ninja 4.
Con's: To most expensive of these 3 choices (about +30%), even the SG10 is still the ugliest, SLIM ODD only, limited ventilation options (the 180mm AP is not standard), no option for 240mm AIO radiator (in case I'll decide to use one in the future).

2) Antec P50
(contradicting to what I thought originally - I got a message from a local distributor that the side panels are actually made of metal and only covered by a plastic layer - can anyone verify that fact!?)
Pro's: Support regular size ODD, shortest depth, cheapest, modern design and best look to my taste, few options to install a 240mm AIO, seem to include various "sound deadening" features (some might be a marketing gimmick...).
Con's: Limit CPU cooler height to only 13mm - so not compatible with Ninja 4 (can someone verify that!? is there a decent alternative with similar performance and still under 13mm height ?), seem to be of the lowest grade of these 3..

3) Antec ISK600M
Seem to be a mix of the previous options - I like the design, can accommodate a tall CPU cooler, rather cheap (same price as the P50), good build quality. However it's the largest and especially widest - marginally for the space I have - so not a lot of breathing room from the sides for fans, SLIM ODD, limited ventilation options.

Personally I'm inclined toward the P50 due to the design, cost and the fact I can use my ODD - but only if I can find a good performing CPU cooler that will fit the hight limits since it seems the Ninja 4 doesn't fit...

If not, I'll probably go for the SG10 which seems like a safe choice - just a bit more expensive, not as pretty and seem to limit future cooling and ventilation customization options...

What would you choose?
Any thoughts and insights are appreciated as always,
Cheers,
Gal
Last edited by galgo on Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

galgo

Post by galgo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:52 am

Oh and..BTW..here are links to two of the biggest local online retailers of PC HW - to the Cases section... some Hebrew but you may check the available choices:
http://en.ksp.co.il/?select=.1041..130. ... maxprice=0

https://www.ivory.co.il/computer_case.html

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 am

galgo wrote:What would you choose?

Personally, the Silverstones.

galgo

Post by galgo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:06 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
galgo wrote:What would you choose?

Personally, the Silverstones.
I thought you would :)

I actually liked the P50 design and the fact it enables me to use my current ODD (vs. the need to purchase a slim/slot ODD for the SG10).
The main limitation for of the P50 for me was it's limited clearance of 13-14cm for the air cooler - however, it seems like the Ninja 4 cooler is not yet available here anyhow + considering the price difference - I can get the P50 + a decent 240mm AIO at the same cost as the Sugo10 + a high end tower air cooler (what will you choose other than the Ninja 4?).

Can you recommend a combination of a 240AIO for the P50 that will be similar in performance to the SG10 + a taller air cooler? (need to be fitted in a way that enable me to use the 5.25" ODD - so probably instead of the front 2X120mm ).
Alternatively, I can go for a shorter air cooler for the P50 - eg. the Noctoa NH-C14 and save some $$$....

Thank you guys,
Gal

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 am

galgo wrote:Can you recommend a combination of a 240AIO for the P50 that will be similar in performance to the SG10 + a taller air cooler?
No: but if I were you I'd give a try to the Fractal Kelvin 24 or the Swiftech H-220X.

galgo

Post by galgo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:00 am

An update.. and a new set of questions :wink:

I eventually got the SG10 considering the overall quality, size and after noticing the 2X80mm fans at the P50 back... :roll:

Found an external ODD solution based on an old 5.25" external chassis I've had that I'll transform to eSATA.

I installed most of the HW inside to check compatibility and still have 2 things to figure out on whats left of my budget (I'll add some pictures later):

1) The CPU Cooler -
1st choice - The NINJA 4 is not yet available here (I'll wait another week or so...):

alternative #1: Noctua D14/D15 are available (at around X2 the expected price of the Ninja4) and I like the fact I can direct their fans toward the upper 180mm which was flipped to pull the hot air out of the case, or just directing them to the back 120mm.. that way the hot air will be quickly pushed out of the case.
Cons: These might be a VERY tight fit (even with only one fan), not to mention the high cost with small benefit over much cheaper options.

Alternative#2: C14 is available and seem to be compatible with no issues
Cons:Hot air will circulate around the case.. and the cost... same as the other Noctua's - very high...

Alternative #3: Installing a 140mm AIO (Kraken x41 / H90) instead/below the upper 180mm (In a push/pull). Or even compromise for a 120mm AIO on the back panel (less attractive.. if I go this way - so I better go as far as I can...)...
Certainly not the most "cost effective" but I wanted to try AIO's for a long time and it might be a feasible solution.. also.. the kids like the idea of "liquid cooling"... so I get some extra credit 8) - check this example:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1356389/sg09 ... t_21447508

2) The case fans combination:
- Top 180mm as intake - which I already flipped to exhaust...
- Back120mm exhaust which I left...
- Lower left - 2X92mm (optional) + 120mm intake - which I can't use due to PSU internal cable compatibility (unique "challenge" in this case due to the internal PSU position). - so basically 3X92mm lower left planned as Intake.
- Lower right - 1X80mm (optional) that I consider as another intake for the GPU as well...

My initial plan is like that :

My MAXIMUS IV MB has 3* 4pin Chassis fan connectors + 2 for CPU (I can probably use the OPT one for the fans).

I already installed in the lower left 2X92mm BeQuite temperature controlled, 3pin fans I have unused - but from a decade ago (connected to a 4pin IDE MOLEX)... still need to populate the 3rd 92mm spot below the PSU .. and the 80mm on the low right panel.

I was thinking about purchasing a NOCTUA A8 (or the cheaper Redux version) + an A9 PWM to complete the left side.

Optimally I'll upgrade the back 120mm and all the trio of 92mm lower left with a "pwm sharing" model from Noctua - but I'd rather reuse what I have around to start with.. and upgrade only if necessary after trying the system for some time...
I'm also not sure regarding the added benefits of the right 80mm - how significant it's contribution will be ontop of the existing configuration...

Alternatively - I can go for somewhat cheaper fans from Arctic/Scythe/Zalman - which goes for ~1/2 the cost of Noctua's cheapest offering... and allow me to upgrade the fans I already have at a similar cost w/o sacrifice too much performances/noise...
An example of local retailer variaty

So.. any thoughts? recommendations? :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:43 am

galgo wrote:2) The case fans combination:
- Lower left - 2X92mm (optional) + 120mm intake - which I can't use due to PSU internal cable compatibility (unique "challenge" in this case due to the internal PSU position). - so basically 3X92mm lower left planned as Intake.
- Lower right - 1X80mm (optional) that I consider as another intake for the GPU as well...

Just a side note.
AFAIK, to effectvely & efficiently cool the CPU/GPU, you shouldn't have less intake airflow (I mean CFM) than the airflow pushed through the CPU/GPU heatsink by the relevant fans (still in CFM). If I didn't misunderstood you, apparently you lack fresh air with such a setup (either with the AIO or with two-fans air coolers): so, check twice.

galgo

Post by galgo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:58 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
galgo wrote:2) The case fans combination:

Just a side note.
AFAIK, to effectvely & efficiently cool the CPU/GPU, you shouldn't have less intake airflow (I mean CFM) than the airflow pushed through the CPU/GPU heatsink by the relevant fans (still in CFM). If I didn't misunderstood you, apparently you lack fresh air with such a setup (either with the AIO or with two-fans air coolers): so, check twice.
Hmmm... thank you for that great tip/rule of thumb...
My initial thought was to create a synergistic cool airflow from intakes on the bottom to the hot air exhaust on the top/back - while all the fans - including the CPU cooler's - working together - not against each other...
So Intake = 3*92mm on left panel + 1*80mm on the right.
CPU will probably have 1*140mm (air or AIO) and the current GPU is 2*80mm....

As you noticed - CFM is indeed a bit more on the CPU/GPU vs. the intake... (depend on FAN speeds of course...)

However, I do have the highest CFM exhaust = 1*120mm on back + 1*180mm top - which i hope will compensate - getting the hot air quickly out of the case.

But either way - flipping fans is easy&cheap - so I'll experiment with these to find the best configuration.
The main questions now - are which fans to buy ( at least 1*92mm + 1*80mm?), which CPU cooler to choose and how to optimize the budget for the best result...

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:23 am

galgo wrote:My initial thought was to create a synergistic cool airflow from intakes on the bottom to the hot air exhaust on the top/back - while all the fans - including the CPU cooler's - working together - not against each other...
So Intake = 3*92mm on left panel + 1*80mm on the right.
CPU will probably have 1*140mm (air or AIO) and the current GPU is 2*80mm....

As you noticed - CFM is indeed a bit more on the CPU/GPU vs. the intake... (depend on FAN speeds of course...)

However, I do have the highest CFM exhaust = 1*120mm on back + 1*180mm top - which i hope will compensate - getting the hot air quickly out of the case.

But either way - flipping fans is easy&cheap - so I'll experiment with these to find the best configuration.

Yes, a field test would be the best way to check: nonetneless at first glance I guess you should get higher temps with the 180mm as exhaust (I mean, particularly at load, and in case it shouldn't be a good thing for GPU and AIO noise).

galgo wrote:The main questions now - are which fans to buy ( at least 1*92mm + 1*80mm?), which CPU cooler to choose and how to optimize the budget for the best result...

If I were you, the Scythes (Ninja 4, Kotetsu, Mugen Max, Mugen 4 PCGH, check whether the latter two fit) would be my first choice, the Noctua C14/C14S the second best. Among the AIOs, along with the X41, I'd give also a look to the Silverstone Tundra series (with different fans than stock ones).

About the fans, IMHO you could give a try to the economical Arctic Cooling F8/F9, then to the Noctua Redux or the Coolink ones (Coolink is still made by Noctua).

galgo

Post by galgo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:46 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
If I were you, the Scythes (Ninja 4, Kotetsu, Mugen Max, Mugen 4 PCGH, check whether the latter two fit) would be my first choice, the Noctua C14/C14S the second best. Among the AIOs, along with the X41, I'd give also a look to the Silverstone Tundra series (with different fans than stock ones).
I do hope the Ninja 4 will be availble very soon here...which should leave me the budget for some fan upgrades as well..
But if not, how about the Corsair H90?
Unlike the x41...i can get it locally at only a bit more then the Noctua C14...
Seems like a 140mm should be ok..

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:31 am

galgo wrote:But if not, how about the Corsair H90?

It's noisy, for an SPCR-like rig, noticeably noisier than a Ninja/Kotetsu.

galgo wrote:Unlike the x41...i can get it locally at only a bit more then the Noctua C14...

A while ago I tried my C14 against an Enermax Liqmax II 120S, the C14 won by a large margin temp-wise (noise-wise it was a no-contest): I can't know how the 90 would have performed in a similar occurrence, but personally I guess it wouldn't have beaten the C14 by 5°C. :wink: