Phanteks Enthoo Pro vs Fractal R5

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

EstroPC

Phanteks Enthoo Pro vs Fractal R5

Post by EstroPC » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:03 pm

I know the R5 is definitely quieter but I want to know which one runs cooler.

The R5 looks like it might be a bit warmer, particularly if the front door is left closed and restricts the intake of air.

Thoughts? Test data between the 2 perhaps?

quest_for_silence

Re: Phanteks Enthoo Pro vs Fractal R5

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:28 pm

EstroPC wrote:Thoughts? Test data between the 2 perhaps?
Broadly speaking the Enthoo Pro has a better cooling prowess, but that's not normalized per noise outcome, and YMMV.
Therefore, set aside SPCR reviews (which are done at comparable noise levels), you can't compare other reviews results, though they come from the same reviewer, as (just for instance) in Bit-tech.net or KitGuru.com.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:00 am

I don't think the R5 is gonna have inadequate cooling for any system this side of a triple or quad GPU. The Enthoo is too open in my opinion - this can negate the effectiveness of intake fans, and requires faster exhaust fans to move air past the hot components.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am

EstroPC wrote:I know the R5 is definitely quieter but I want to know which one runs cooler.

The R5 looks like it might be a bit warmer, particularly if the front door is left closed and restricts the intake of air.

Thoughts? Test data between the 2 perhaps?
I have built on R4 and Entho, never with the same hardware nor compare them directly, as you guess, and i agree (subjectivly) the R4 was quieter than the entho, although the sound of the 200mm isnt bad, was not the best either, you will have alot of limitations if its not up to you liking (it can be swapped with two 120 i believe).

Personally i would build as SPCR did, on single GPU i would go with R5, with SLI the FT05 is a better choice, but water starts to get appealing, more than 2 gpus or overclocking, i would go water, and very likely that i would use a Phatek case for it... case labs... drolll... =)
NeilBlanchard wrote:I don't think the R5 is gonna have inadequate cooling for any system this side of a triple or quad GPU.
Imo any tri or quad SLI is water territory.
NeilBlanchard wrote:The Enthoo is too open in my opinion - this can negate the effectiveness of intake fans, and requires faster exhaust fans to move air past the hot components.
What i did on Phanteks Enthoo Pro build was to add a second 140mm fan as exhaust.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The Enthoo is too open in my opinion - this can negate the effectiveness of intake fans, and requires faster exhaust fans to move air past the hot components.

IME it didn't work as you're afraid of: in a somewhat a similar setup (I mean a two-slot front opening, a 120mm rear opening and a top 140mm opening) with a more humble Antec One Hundred, I ended up with 2 front intake, 1 rear and 1 top exhaust and under load (ASUS 97/4690, 970) none of the fans have to pass the about 550rpm.
It might also worth to mention that the Fractal Arc reviewed by SPCR ended up being quieter and cooler than the corresponding Define (with the right load).

Abula wrote:it can be swapped with two 120 i believe

Two 140.

EstroPC

Post by EstroPC » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:43 am

I appreciate all the feedback thus far.

Would ya'll mind taking a look at my build? My build is for capturing/streaming from my console (games), video editing, rendering, and some gaming. Certainly trying to avoid overclocking and CrossFire/SLI.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/mRRXQ7

Thanks again!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:38 pm

EstroPC wrote:I appreciate all the feedback thus far.

Would ya'll mind taking a look at my build? My build is for capturing/streaming from my console (games), video editing, rendering, and some gaming. Certainly trying to avoid overclocking and CrossFire/SLI.

Thanks again!
Just some sparse thoughts.
  • Probably the NH-C14 is more performing than the NH-D14 for the same price,
  • if you won't SLI then a Z97 is a bit pointless (I think you can spare 50 bucks just on that),
  • the PSU is an underdog (a 650 G2 is light years better than a 650 GS),
  • and the RAM has pointlessly tall heatspreader which will interfere with the NH-D14.
  • Eventually I don't think there's any usefulness in an M2 SSD within a full tower, and I guess it should run hotter than a 2.5" unit.

Hope this helps.

EstroPC

Post by EstroPC » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
EstroPC wrote:I appreciate all the feedback thus far.

Thanks again!
Just some sparse thoughts.
  • Probably the NH-C14 is more performing than the NH-D14 for the same price,
  • if you won't SLI then a Z97 is a bit pointless (I think you can spare 50 bucks just on that),
  • the PSU is an underdog (a 650 G2 is light years better than a 650 GS),
  • and the RAM has pointlessly tall heatspreader which will interfere with the NH-D14.
  • Eventually I don't think there's any usefulness in an M2 SSD within a full tower, and I guess it should run hotter than a 2.5" unit.

Hope this helps.
Thanks quest_for_silence!

- I'll take a look at the NH-C14, but I've also considered the H100i I'm just concerned that it'll be a lot louder than the Noctura I've chosen. Is it really that much louder though?
- I may potentially SLI down the road, but for now 1 GPU is more than sufficient.
- PSU I'm not very educated on so any suggestions for best bang for my buck I'm all ears :)
- From what I know, M.2 gives lightning fast responses on read/write and is just a better alternative if you can afford it (which in this case, I can).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:46 pm

EstroPC wrote:Is it really that much louder though?

FYI you might want to give a read to some recent SPCR review (I mean, to gather some data about AIOs and air coolers): broadly speaking, yes, the H100i is louder but, on the other hand, I don't think you already know how much loud is really loud for your likes, do you?

EstroPC wrote:- I may potentially SLI down the road

I don't buy in fairy tales, sorry. :wink:

EstroPC wrote:- PSU I'm not very educated on so any suggestions for best bang for my buck I'm all ears :)

I already gave you one worthwhile option: providing EVGA will continue to dump the market, hardly you (royal you) can find a really better ratio, but it mostly depends on canadian pricing; within the same boundary condition, the proven Rosewill Silent Night might be another viable alternative.

EstroPC wrote:- From what I know, M.2 gives lightning fast responses on read/write and is just a better alternative if you can afford it (which in this case, I can).

The M.2 is just a connector/form factor for different protocols.
In an M.2 connector, an m-keyed PCIe (and probably NVMe) drive may offer some better figures (for comparison purposes, look at the Intel 750, maybe the fastest consumer/prosumer drive currently available), but not a SATA one (AFAIK that Crucial you picked should be SATA). Therefore you need something like a Samsung SM951 (MZHPV256HDGL), or a Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 PCIe (SHPM2280P2/240).

Jotunn

Post by Jotunn » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 pm

I use an Enthoo Pro, and the loudest parts in my system are the fans on my GPU (a 980 Ti), and that is only when they ramp up when the card is under serious load due to my rather aggressive fan power curve. Besides those, I have the two fans that came with the case, those being the front 200mm fan (second loudest thing in the case) and the rear 140mm, and two quiet optimized fans on the top vent to reduce the ambient temperature. In this way, I can run the fans at reduced speed while maintaining a comfy component temperature and ambient temperature.

I have built a system in the Define R5, and to achieve the maximum cooling potential of that case, you do sacrifice some noise deadening parts, mainly the upper moduvent covers and the ones on the left side panel if you are not using the windowed version, opening the case up substantially, allowing for a fair bit more noise to be projected into the room.

All this comes from my personal experience, and YMMV.

One addendum, I do find the front 200mm fan to be very noisy and am seriously considering replacing it with either a single or dual 140mm fans. Any recommendations on fans that provide a solid balance between silence and airflow would be much appreciated.