Cooltek W2 alternative to go under desk

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

chopsicles

Cooltek W2 alternative to go under desk

Post by chopsicles » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 am

Hi,

as I already asked about this in my build thread, I wanna try and split things up into their respective sub forums.

I am stuck chosing a case for my new build with ATX board and big GTX 980 Ti (Palit or Inno3D).

I really like the Cooltek W2, but this has to sit on the desk, which I don't want.
An alternative so far is the Define R5 or S, but somehow they don't really float my boat.
Does anyone know of a good alternative to the W2 that can sit underneath the desk? I specifically like the fancy pants alluminium look it has. Makes it look sturdy.

quest_for_silence

Re: Cooltek W2 alternative to go under desk

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:25 am

Similar (but different) enclosures are the Corsair Carbide Air 540, or maybe the smaller Fractal Design Node 804 (mATX).
Unless you wanna go smaller, personally I'd stick with the W2.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:45 am

I'd prefer if you kept your build in one build thread. I know I lose track/lose interest when a member posts all over the place for a single build.

boost

Post by boost » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:06 am

The only good looking aluminum case with decent fans is the Silverstone Fortress FT01.
The Cooltek Antiphon is a budget silent case with a nice aluminum front.
The Silverstone Forttress FT05 is another alternative with good cooling and high airflow. In my opnion it has too many plastic prts for it's price.
The Lancool K65 is a nice looking case with a sturdy steel frame and aluminum panels. to get it really quiet you need at least a fan controller, or better yet replace the fans. The dampened version from the link makes aluminum hum from the side panels a non-issue.

chopsicles

Post by chopsicles » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:02 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I'd prefer if you kept your build in one build thread. I know I lose track/lose interest when a member posts all over the place for a single build.
sorry then, I'll go back to my thread. I just thought since I'm starting to get a better understanding of things and am moving on to more pointed questions I'll put the questions about parts into the parts forums to make them better searchable.

thanks for the suggestions of the other cases, but I decided to stick with the W2 now, since it's the only one that optically really fits what I like. I have a question though, but I'll put that in the build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=68655

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:42 pm

You could put the W2 on a shelf under the desk?