HDD mounting for DIY nas case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

cube

HDD mounting for DIY nas case

Post by cube » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:25 am

Hi,
some time ago I've designed a DIY case for a small NAS server and now I'm thinking about making version 2.0.
There are several small problems that I'd like to fix, but the bigest issue I have with the current version is drive noise. Drives standing directly on plywood with half milimeter wiggle space now looks like the worst solution possible :-)

So I wanted to ask if anyone has some brilliant idea how to make the drives removable, hold them in place well enough and effectively dampen their vibrations at the same time.
Some options I'm considering:
  • Make the drive slots a little larger and put foam tape around the edges. This might work well if I don't move the case and replace the drives carefully.
  • In an older build I was experimenting with hanging the drive on rubber bands inside a 5.25" bay, which worked nice for a while, but eventually the rubber bands sagged ... also this takes a little too much space.
  • I've seen this sort of rubber sliding blocks that attach to the side of the drive somewhere. I could try to get these and laser cut only the rails for this.

Cistron

Re: HDD mounting for DIY nas case

Post by Cistron » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:21 am

I think the better mounting mechanisms use silicon pads screwed onto the side of the drive.

If you use larger, thicker pads and corresponding indentations in your hold-rails that should be pretty secure and keep vibrations at bay. Also, make your drive cage as stable as possible.