Silent SLI case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

maddogthesahr

Silent SLI case

Post by maddogthesahr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:46 am

Hi guys and girls.
I have been searching the web for the quietest solution, but i'm not sure which way to go.

I have the following hardware, and i only want air cooling:
MB: Asus X99-a
CPU: 5820K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GFX: 2 x Asus GTX 980 Strix in SLI
HDD: 4 x intel SSD
PSU: Fractal Design 1000 watt

Right now i have a Fractal Design R3 case, but i'm looking for a new case that maybe could reduce the amount of noise.
I read the article about the Silverstone FT05, where the thermal design should be good for a SLI setup.
But i'm torn, because i have also been looking at the Fractal Design Define S, but then again not sure how much i would gain from upgrading from R3 to S

I would love some alternatives if you have some, but silence is key :-D

Thanks in advace people :-D

QUIET!

Re: Silent SLI case

Post by QUIET! » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:13 pm

For an X99, the motherboard, CPU (130 watt TDP?), ram and SSDs probably use around 160 watts when heavily stressed. The GTX980s probably pull less than 200 watts each when heavily stressed so your full load is around 560 watts but probably more like 400-500 in heavy use (it's unusual to fully stress everything at the same time). Your PSU is more than you need, if it's not quiet, that might be a place to improve with a 650 or 750 watt 80+ gold or platinum.

The rest is fan control and the case.

If your PSU is making noticeable noise, I suggest buying a Kill-a-watt to see how much draw is at the plug, then go to plug load solutions to find the 80+ report with your efficiency curve to see what the actual DC load is like and then go shopping for a PSU with an appropriate rating. You should use stress testing software to find your maximum draw and then some gaming or whatever you use those GPUs for to find a typical draw. If there is a big gap between maximum and typical, I would go for about 110% of maximum or about 180% of typical, whichever is higher. If the gap is closer, 125% of maximum would probably do it.

When PSUs are tested, they usually can put out 105-110% of their rated power without popping. If your maximum is a lot higher than typical, it should be able to handle 90% output on the odd occasion that you stress test it or start using software that is stressful, while a typical load is 60% or less than the rated power.

If the gap is close, running at 75-80% will give you enough reliability, efficiency and excess capacity.

Running a computer with a typical load much less than 50% of the PSU rating is usually very inefficient at idle which means more heat and more noise typically when you want it to be as quiet as possible.

On the other hand, I like socket 115x stuff, modified 230 watt Dell 80+ gold ~ATX PSUs and idle power less than 30 watts (at the plug) so you are near the opposite extreme.

For my example, I got 23 watt idle, 177 watt load (Furmark or something) and about 120 watts gaming with a 230 watt PSU, so 10% idle, 45% typical load and about 70% at maximum load so the PSU is rated about 190% of my typical load, and about 135% of my maximum. That seems just about right to me, 200 watts would be fine but it's hard to find anything 80+ rated with wattage that low.

In your example, there are plenty of PSUs in that power range, enough that you could get picky about wire length and still find something that will work. My Dells need a little cable surgery to hook up to GPUs and reach across the case.

maddogthesahr

Post by maddogthesahr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Hmm, i don't think the PSU is an issue unless it's generating a lot of heat, but it has a 80PLUS® Platinum stamp on it, so i don't think it's so bad.
Product link: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... n-r3-1000w
It also runs with a semi passive profile which only turns the fan on at high temp.
Regarding the wattage overlap, i have had to change PSU each time i upgraded my PC, so this time i went all in and bought something that hopefully can cover a few systems ;-)

The things that i think is the primary source to noise is.
1) Thermal flow, as written in the FT05 review here on silentpcreview, the upper GPU tends to get a bit hotter which turns the fan higher up.
2) Case fans, the case has a few years of age, so maybe there has been developed some more effective fans over the years.
3) Case volume, it's kind of stuffed in the case with the big noctua cpu block and the two GPUs

Hope i'm making sense :-)

/Mads

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:11 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!!

If i was to build a SLI of GTX980Ti setup, i would go with the FT05 again, the only thing i would go different is i would go with Skylake, specially liking the MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium one of the very few boards that have the 16x PCIe on the first slot allowing one extra slot between gpus than the standard motheboards, weather it warrents its high price its up to you.

Do not expect a very demanding game to very quiet though, the GTX980ti do put a lot of heat, so you need to ramp up the case fans or the GPUs will ramp up, specially the first gpu, but somone expecting a silent PC shouldnt go for twin GTX980Ti + High demanding games, on low end games i dont notice my setup at all.

Btw i wouldnt go with Noctua NH-D15 + MSI Titanium, it very likely the cooler will interfere with the first PCIe slot, since you seem to like Noctua, consider the newer NH-D15S, its the same just asymetrical, so in theory it wont interfere with the first PCIe slot.

maddogthesahr

Post by maddogthesahr » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Hi and thanks for the welcome :-D

I'm not looking to upgrade hardware right know, other than maybe case or cpu cooler if it makes sence. The hardware i mention in the top is hardware i already have ;-)
But yeah, it's quite anoying that the GPUs have to be so close to each other :-(

But you have used the FT05 before in a SLI setup?

/Mads

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:21 am

Take a look at Abula's signature and the link to his gaming build.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:28 pm

maddogthesahr wrote:Hmm, i don't think the PSU is an issue unless it's generating a lot of heat, but it has a 80PLUS® Platinum stamp on it, so i don't think it's so bad.
Product link: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... n-r3-1000w
It also runs with a semi passive profile which only turns the fan on at high temp.
Regarding the wattage overlap, i have had to change PSU each time i upgraded my PC, so this time i went all in and bought something that hopefully can cover a few systems ;-)

The things that i think is the primary source to noise is.
1) Thermal flow, as written in the FT05 review here on silentpcreview, the upper GPU tends to get a bit hotter which turns the fan higher up.
2) Case fans, the case has a few years of age, so maybe there has been developed some more effective fans over the years.
3) Case volume, it's kind of stuffed in the case with the big noctua cpu block and the two GPUs

Hope i'm making sense :-)

/Mads
I can see that logic but today most of the technology improvements are aimed at lowering power which is driven by mobile (and some times server) applications but it trickles down any way. If you wait for 10nm on the CPU and GPU for your next upgrade, you will probably be able to get a single GPU that can give decent frame rates with dual 4k monitors and 1000 watts will still still seem too big.

Any way, if it's not making noise at idle, changing it probably won't reduce your SPLs. It's just the only piece that seemed mis-matched enough to think about changing.

Now it's all assembly, cable management, air flow and fan control. Those things can make a difference but it's changes are going to be small and take time to test.

Unhedged

Post by Unhedged » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 am

Abula wrote:If i was to build a SLI of GTX980Ti setup, i would go with the FT05 again, the only thing i would go different is i would go with Skylake, specially liking the MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium one of the very few boards that have the 16x PCIe on the first slot allowing one extra slot between gpus than the standard motheboards, weather it warrents its high price its up to you.
You seem to like MSI boards, recommending one here and also using one in your own build. Is it because of superior BIOS fan control when compared to ASUS? lets assume that the first PCIe slot being blocked is not a concern for me, what would you say are the advantages of the MSI?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 am

With the '170 series boards, my order of preference for UEFI fan control at the moment is, Asus, Asrock, then MSI. Asus put the Fan Xpert functionaity in BIOS. Much more flexible than the others. Asrock allows the user to set a passive fan setpoint. Also, kinda neat. MSI looks like the previous generation. Gigabyte is still in the stone age.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Unhedged wrote:
Abula wrote:If i was to build a SLI of GTX980Ti setup, i would go with the FT05 again, the only thing i would go different is i would go with Skylake, specially liking the MSI Z170A XPOWER Gaming Titanium one of the very few boards that have the 16x PCIe on the first slot allowing one extra slot between gpus than the standard motheboards, weather it warrents its high price its up to you.
You seem to like MSI boards, recommending one here and also using one in your own build. Is it because of superior BIOS fan control when compared to ASUS? lets assume that the first PCIe slot being blocked is not a concern for me, what would you say are the advantages of the MSI?
As steve posted, seems that Asus has steped their game into making their UEFI bios fan control very similar to FanXpert, with some limitations, like 20% seems like the lowest allowed on bios, while on software you can reach 0% on FanXpert2, MSI on the other hand allows 12.5% as the lowest on my UEFI, but i dont think that will matter much, probably most fans wont reach that low (in my experience only Noctua reaches that low), that said, i would still pick MSI, mostly because of the triple slot between PCIe slot and because i like the brand atm, not saying i wont buy asus in the future, but will evaluate upon what i need or if ill continue a SLI, personally i would like to return to a single GPU, but atm thats not possible, maybe in Pascal.....