Recommended ATX case of these options?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Recommended case at said price points?

- Fractal Define R4 (100€)
No votes
- Fractal Define R5 (120€)
60%
- CM Silencio 550 (80€)
No votes
- BitFenix Ghost (95€)
No votes
- Corsair Carbide 330R Blackout (105€)
No votes
- Nanoxia Deep Silence 2/3 (90€)
20%
- Antec P100 (90€)
20%

Total votes: 5

G4-power

Recommended ATX case of these options?

Post by G4-power » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:21 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new, quiet case in the range of 80-120€ for a full ATX mobo. I have quite a few choices, but availability for some makes is limited due to my location (Northern Europe).

In the poll above are listed the most interesting options that are available. I'm most interested in the Fractal Define R cases because they are recommended in the "Case Basics and Recommendations" article and seem to be the go-to case for the price point. The Silencio 550 seems like a steal at only 80€, but it's already quite old.

My setup is as follows:
Mobo: Asus Z77-V (ATX)
Processor: Core i7-2600 (95W TDP)
Cooler: Scythe Katana 4 (143 mm high)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Windforce2 (116W total power)
PSU: XFX Pro 550W Core Edition

Also I have a DVD player, one 3.5" HD, two 2.5" (HD+SSD), so I need at least one 5.25" slot (no Define S) and places for 2.5" drives would be great to have too. I do game occasionally, so decent airflow would be nice, but I need it to be quiet at idle. Future expandability is a plus. I have a couple of 80mm Noctuas but they will be replaced by bigger fans that are either included with the case or not...

So, recommendations? Thanks in advance for your input!

CA_Steve

Re: Recommended ATX case of these options?

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Any of those will work (along with the Source 530). I enjoyed building in the R4 and the R5 has stepped up the performance with better airflow, quieter fans. Pick one that you like the looks of and has the features you need. Read a couple reviews to get a feel for the ease of building/ease of use.

G4-power

Re: Recommended ATX case of these options?

Post by G4-power » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:05 am

Thanks for your replies!

I'm sorry but the Source 530 doesn't seem to be available from my country. Other NZXT cases (S340, H2, Phantom) are available though.

I've read quite a few reviews here on SPCR and on other sites as well, but it's hard to choose. I thought I'd poll the SPCR community for first-hand experiences on these cases, if any of them have any big design flaws or restrictions, or if others seem like a better value. There aren't that many computer shops around here that have a huge amount of cases on display, so it's not that easy to pick one before seeing it in person.

Fractal's Scandinavian design makes the Define R-series feel very familiar. Fractal being from Sweden, and I'm from the neighboring country, Finland. :)