Quiet & Small: Core V1 or Node 304 or anything else?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mars Warrior

Quiet & Small: Core V1 or Node 304 or anything else?

Post by Mars Warrior » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:30 am

My current case is a Lian Li Q09 (with the build-in power supply and external adapter), but that case has very little space for cooling a 95W Intel 2500K CPU, in other words: it's annoying loud, even while running idle :(

My components are the following:
  • Gigabyte H67N ITX
  • Intel 2500K CPU
  • Intel SSD
  • Samsung SSD
  • 1TB Backup disk
I might add a GPU in the future.

In my search for a small and quiet case, I haven't found anything as small as the Lian Li case AND a case that has sufficient space for quiet cooling, so I looked for some larger cases.
SPCR has previously reviewed the Node 304 case (Editors Choice), which seems a bit like an overkill for my components, but looks good and should be very quiet with a Kotetsu CPU cooler. I have to replace the fans I think with really quiet ones to get a very silent PC.

The other contender is the Thermaltake Core V1. HardOCP has reviewed that case, but they can't measure as low as SPCR can, so I have no idea if that case is really quiet.
The Kotetsu won't fit in the Core V1, as this case has only 140mm room for CPU heatsinks, so I have to look for another one.

It would be very nice if SPCR would review the Core V1, that would give me clear information about which case is the best for me, but if others could give me some advise about these cases, or know of other cases that are small and quiet, just let me know 8)

CA_Steve

Re: Quiet & Small: Core V1 or Node 304 or anything else?

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Have you looked at the Silverstone FTZ01?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:51 pm

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am

There is also the newer RVZ02 which looks quite good, and it's currently available.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/pro ... a=en&top=C

I have 2 questions about this newer version. How silent it can be with exposed fans? And would an m.2 SSD like the new Samsung 950 Pro mounted on back of the motherboard cooled sufficiently?

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:49 am

mikeb wrote:How silent it can be with exposed fans?
Cases can help dampen some, but in my experience is not that much, its more about choosing quiet components, for example GPUs like GTX750Ti from MSI and Asus are very quiet, there are even fully passive like the Palit that you could have both slim case fan on it, grab a good motherboard with good fan control like an Asus, i prefer MSI but you need to understand how each header works. Either way, i wouldn't fear an exposed fan, fans with less restrictions often can move more air and thus not needing to ramp them up as much, so it could be beneficial, now if you plan to run it into audible levels, the exposed fans will be more noticeable than on a dampened restricted case.

As long as the components inside don't need more cooling than what you can give with the fans dropped to inaudible levels you will be fine. Now if you place a GTX980Ti there and you stress it, it will be noticeable, probably even loud, the trick on building a quiet pc is choosing the right components so you end up with a quiet pc, regardless of the case.
mikeb wrote:And would an m.2 SSD like the new Samsung 950 Pro mounted on back of the motherboard cooled sufficiently?
The 950pro m.2 are not out yet, so there is no way to tell if you if it will need some airflow or not, i seen some m.2 ssds that even on the top of the motherboards they do overheat, but i also seen some that work fine. On laptops, they dont have direct cooling and they work with very little airflow, so my guess is that it might be fine below the motherboard.... but then again.. its not out, so who knows.

From what i can see on the case, it allows for 2x 2.5 drives, at least from what i can tell, i would buy a crucial mx200/bx100 + a Samsung/Seagate M9T or Hitachi 5k1500. I cant feel any difference between my Intel X25M and my Samsung 840Pro, what you get with ssds and what we all love its their 0 latency, their quick response to any action, and that will be given by any ssd, no matter the interface, you will get much higher sequentials on newer ssds and m.2 and sata express, but to me, it feels the same in real life, you just spending more for having higher sequentials, unless you need it, i feel money can be spent better in other components.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Thank you Abula for the awesome answer!

I will definitely take your advice on choosing the most silent components and probably with SSD as well. My desire for the super fast SSD is because I'm a software dev who will be running vmware virtual machines and compiles quite often, but I would probably be just fine with the crucial you mention.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:37 pm

mikeb wrote:Thank you Abula for the awesome answer!
Np, glad to help.
mikeb wrote:I will definitely take your advice on choosing the most silent components and probably with SSD as well. My desire for the super fast SSD is because I'm a software dev who will be running vmware virtual machines and compiles quite often, but I would probably be just fine with the crucial you mention.
You should crosscheck if you VM are going to write a lot, and the work you will do benefits from higher sequentials, it might, i dont really know much of what you going to do. One thing to consider is also if you going to write a lot, i would invest on a SSD that in theory should handle better the wear upon constant writing, if you dont want to do go into enterprise level ssds, Samsung 850Pro seems to be one of the best, specially with their 10 year warranty.

Now into sequentials, if you do benefit from them, there are much better ssds that come to mind, specially the new Intel line that everybody is raving about,
Intel 750 Series HHHL (CEM2.0) 400GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW400G4R5
Intel 750 Series AIC 1.2TB PCI-Express 3.0 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEDMW012T401 - OEM

If you do like what intel is offering, you should also consider going into micro ATX, overall the factor wont be that much bigger than an RZV01, its going to be widder in case like TJ08-E or a PS07, but the overall height will be similar, opening a lot of things, specially the use of the PCIe ssd, and better cooling and more traditional case style, with lots of options for PSU. Even motherboards there will be much more options, for example ASUS Z170M-PLUS LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. Cases like the TJ08-E allow to install big CPU coolers, like Thermalright HR02 Macho or Scythe Kotetsu / Ninja4 for a more traditional and probably quieter setup. Asus is pretty good handling case fans, specially with their FanXpert software, but it seems their Bios has gotten some of the functionality now on pure bios (i cant say how much as i dont own one). Also you can use traditional hdds like WD Green/Reds for storage, that imo are the quietest drives you can buy atm.

Either way, was just some thoughts for you to consider before committing to mini itx, personally i like the factor, but depending on the needs sometimes micro atx plays better.

Good luck with the build,

Mars Warrior

Post by Mars Warrior » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:08 am

CA_Steve wrote:Have you looked at the Silverstone FTZ01?
I have read reviews about both cases, and they don't seem to be really quiet cases.

I have also looked at the Lian Li PC-Q33 and the Raijintek Metis.
Both are nice cases, but seem to suffer from the same shortcomings: just a single outtake fan which gives high temperatures, and thus high RPM fans, and thus prevents the case from being silent.

So the Node 304 seems to be the best case for a fairly small (20L) and silent build combined with
  • three silent case fans (< 15dB) that replace the Node 304 fans which don't seem to be as quiet as other fans recommended by SPCR.
  • a silent PSU (Be Quiet and Corsair for instance have been tested as silent, < 18dB @10cm up to 300W) and
  • the Kotetsu CPU cooler. Haven't checked if that one actually fits the Node btw.
I still would like to find a smaller case, but it must be silent...

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 am

with the hardware in the OP, I dont see why youd need more than one exhaust.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:40 am

Mars Warrior wrote: the Kotetsu CPU cooler. Haven't checked if that one actually fits the Node btw.
It should fit. Fractal's site says Node 304 supports up to 165mm tall coolers, and the Kotetsu is 160mm.

Mars Warrior

Post by Mars Warrior » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:22 am

xan_user wrote:with the hardware in the OP, I dont see why youd need more than one exhaust.
Good question. You might be right if I don't use a GPU next to the 2500K. However I will add a GPU in the future if I get my 27" UHD monitor that can't be driven by the 2500K, so there will be some extra heat, although not as much as a real game GPU would give of course.

If I look at the Metis, the windowed version has no side vents, but the closed version has. A review at bit-tech says this about the case:

"Form doesn't always have to come at the cost of function, but in this case it does. The out of the box cooling is terrible – we do not recommend any gamers purchase this case, as your graphics card will be starved of air. If you're handy with power tools, you could mod some ventilation into the roof. [...] Actually getting hardware in is a fiddly affair too, but worst of all, however, is the cooling – we're honestly baffled by the airflow design. Regardless of your cooler, you'll want to flip that fan around - this isn't hard, but it's not something we should need to be doing either."

But that's about a real gamers GPU and the windowed/not vented version. So maybe the closed version is doable with a silent PSU, Kotetsu and good 120mm fan!