Top 5 silent cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Stratohero

Top 5 silent cases?

Post by Stratohero » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 am

Of all the cases SPCR reviewed in the last 2 years..

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Top 5 silent cases?

Post by xan_user » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Stratohero wrote:Of all the cases SPCR reviewed in the last 2 years..
for what useage?
for what budget?
for what size/form factor?
for whose aesthetic tastes?

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:45 pm

xan_user wrote:
for what useage?
for what budget?
for what size/form factor?
for whose aesthetic tastes?
For up to $1200 PC, gaming, not bigger than mid-tower, functionality before aesthetics (which means there is little compromise in cooling/silence ratio).

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:26 pm

It's worth starting with this list of detailed SPCR reviews for a couple of ideas - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page5.html

Even within a limited category of small/mid ATX cases, you're got plenty of options. The Solo II offers a real silence-out-of-the-box approach, but perhaps at the cost of a warmer system depending on your component choice. At the other end of the scale the FT05 can be an effective SLI box, but won't ever be as quiet.

For many people, the Fractal Define range offers a practical middle-ground option that can be easily pushed towards improved cooling or a super-quiet rig (or a bit of both with good use of a fan controller), but isn't completely dedicated for either. Have a dig through the reviews to see which features might appeal to you.

Stratohero

Post by Stratohero » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:48 pm

I've been looking at other graphs, and Silverstone FT05 always seems to be at the top, both for noise isolation and cooling.
Shame it's so expensive.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:59 pm

It's certainly not the absolute quietest, and from what I've read, it can be a bit tricky to work with. If I was at all considering a standard HDD in the mix for the build, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Gunbuster

Post by Gunbuster » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:49 am

Stratohero wrote:I've been looking at other graphs, and Silverstone FT05 always seems to be at the top, both for noise isolation and cooling.
Shame it's so expensive.
If you don't mind how it looks the RV05 is very similar and almost half the price (£74 Vs £119).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:41 pm

There ain't no such thing as a silent case.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Technically, they are all silent. Does yours make a noise or something?

:mrgreen:

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 pm

Quinnbeast wrote:Technically, they are all silent. Does yours make a noise or something?

My old acrylic one sometime cracks, late in the night. :mrgreen:

Somehow more seriously, what make "silent" a case (in an end user perspective or according to his expectations) are mostly marketing gimnicks and common sense: just for instance, unless you have two or more air cooled graphic cards (not a smart move for a silence lover), the FT05 is not the quietest option (as a matter of fact the SPCR Quiet ATX Gamer used a much less expensive Fractal R5 for an apparently much quieter outcome than the FT05 review), while, if you go for liquid cooling (the best choice for a multi-GPUs setup, noise wise), again the FT05 is not the best choice (liquid cooling deserves differently organized enclosures for placing radiators, tubing, pumps, reservoir).

Moreover absolute figures don't mean that much: as our gentle host, MikeC, often says, 1-2°C is nothing, 1-2dB is nothing. So, as a matter of fact, more humble enclosures (for instance NZXT Source 530, Silverstone KL05) may give a comparable noise outcome at a fraction of the FT05 price.

Banally it's how you actually use it that makes an enclosure well suited to run with the least amount of noise, that's why there ain't no such thing as a silent case, that's why is a bit pointless looking for the most silent cases. :wink:

Irrelevant

Post by Irrelevant » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Banally it's how you actually use it that makes an enclosure well suited to run with the least amount of noise, that's why there ain't no such thing as a silent case, that's why is a bit pointless looking for the most silent cases. :wink:
Unquestionably, usage patterns and component choice do make a big difference, and there is no "#1 Most Quiet Case Ever," but there are only a few cases that could ever earn the label "#1 Most Quiet Case For This Particular System." If acoustics are the sole criteria under consideration, you could probably whittle the list down to fewer than ten.

I'd agree, however, that such a list would be nearly useless much of the time. Hardly anyone selects a case solely on its acoustics, and you'd still need a basic understanding of computer acoustics to purchase an appropriate case. There are a lot of threads here started by people wondering why their computer is so noisy when they've got an SPCR-approved cases totally unsuitable for their components. (In fact, I think I myself am guilty of that. :oops: )