Case for a no-gpu system

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ralphjams

Case for a no-gpu system

Post by Ralphjams » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:09 am

Hey everyone,

I'm searching for a case for my PC Slave that I use for recording. I have it in a rack right now but I would rather move it to a tower because I have some more rack gear that I want to install in those spaces. This was originally specced for expandability but I no longer plan on upgrading this system. Had I known that at the time I would have picked out a m-atx board and a smaller PSU. The computer boots, loads 25gb of Virtual Instrument libraries into ram, and connects to my mac over cat6. I only access it via remote desktop when there is a problem. Here are the specs:

MSI PC Mate z97
i7 4790K
CPU Cooler - stock at the moment but I will purchase whatever air cooler will fit in the case that is recommended
32GB Ram
64gb Kingston SSD
500gb Crucial SSD
Seasonic S12G 650 watt

The only noise generating element in the case is the CPU, which I would like to over clock. I don't need much room in the case at all, but unfortunately I already have an ATX motherboard. I can deal with the larger case (originally looking at a Fractal Define S + scythe kotetsu) but I would prefer something as small as possible. Any recommendations?

quest_for_silence

Re: Case for a no-gpu system

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:06 am

Ralphjams wrote:Any recommendations?

The Mate board is not recommended for overclocking for reliability reasons.
The R5/S is among the smallest ATX mid-tower enclosures: there are very few less tall option (4-8cm less), but they are not preferable either noise-wise, or cooling-wise (and usually they are either wider or deeper).