Be quiet silent base 600 VS define r5

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gqdgqiugig

Be quiet silent base 600 VS define r5

Post by gqdgqiugig » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:10 am

Hello,

Which case do you recommend me ?
Personnally i prefer the be quiet design but i don't know if it worth it in term of performance.

Thank you !

CA_Steve

Re: Be quiet silent base 600 VS define r5

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Welcome to SPCR.

What components do you plan to put in the case?

gqdgqiugig

Post by gqdgqiugig » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:17 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR.

What components do you plan to put in the case?
A msi z97 gaming 3 / i5 4670k / r9 380x (and maybe a gtx 980 soon) / cooler master 212 evo and a fortron raider 550w

I'm looking for silence and good airflow/temperatures

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 am

Personally i haven't built on a BeQuiet case, they seem good, but i do like a lot Fractal Design Define series, my past build was on R4, and for a single GPU its the case that i recommend, easy to work with, has noise dampening, solid build (slightly prefer antec on their steel) good configuration for fans and extra fans if you were to need more, and excellent cable management its probably among the easiest cases i have worth with, SPCR used it on their SPCR's Quiet ATX Gaming Build Guide and came out really well with a setup like what you are planning (btw do you own all the hardware you listed?)

As i said i cont say if the Be Quiet is better, but i can tell you the R5 you cant go wrong, has all the good things a builder should be looking for aiming a quiet pc (silent is hard to reach, inaudible is what you should aim).

gqdgqiugig

Post by gqdgqiugig » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 am

Abula wrote:Personally i haven't built on a BeQuiet case, they seem good, but i do like a lot Fractal Design Define series, my past build was on R4, and for a single GPU its the case that i recommend, easy to work with, has noise dampening, solid build (slightly prefer antec on their steel) good configuration for fans and extra fans if you were to need more, and excellent cable management its probably among the easiest cases i have worth with, SPCR used it on their SPCR's Quiet ATX Gaming Build Guide and came out really well with a setup like what you are planning (btw do you own all the hardware you listed?)

As i said i cont say if the Be Quiet is better, but i can tell you the R5 you cant go wrong, has all the good things a builder should be looking for aiming a quiet pc (silent is hard to reach, inaudible is what you should aim).
Yes i own all the hardware I listed. Thank you for you answer, i think I will take the r5.
Is the windowed version really more loud ? Or there is no big difference between the two versions ?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:28 am

gqdgqiugig wrote:Is the windowed version really more loud ? Or there is no big difference between the two versions ?
Not a big difference.

doyll

Post by doyll » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 am

What Steve said.

Define R5 is better than Define R4. To me the biggest improvement is bottom filter .. The whole bottom filter slides out the front !! No more need to pull case away from wall to remove filter out the back to clean it. :D

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:03 am

gqdgqiugig wrote:
Abula wrote:Personally i haven't built on a BeQuiet case, they seem good, but i do like a lot Fractal Design Define series, my past build was on R4, and for a single GPU its the case that i recommend, easy to work with, has noise dampening, solid build (slightly prefer antec on their steel) good configuration for fans and extra fans if you were to need more, and excellent cable management its probably among the easiest cases i have worth with, SPCR used it on their SPCR's Quiet ATX Gaming Build Guide and came out really well with a setup like what you are planning (btw do you own all the hardware you listed?)

Thank you for you answer, i think I will take the r5.
Is the windowed version really more loud ? Or there is no big difference between the two versions ?
As other said there are no huge difference, personally i prefer none windowed because im not the type of guy that likes to show their hardware, i prefer a more laid back a builds, with no lights going out on the room. That said whatever fits you its good, if you want windowed version go for it.
Yes i own all the hardware I listed.

A msi z97 gaming 3 / i5 4670k / r9 380x (and maybe a gtx 980 soon) / cooler master 212 evo and a fortron raider 550w
Thanks for the confirmation. Some advise if you already commited to the R5 and since you own MSI Z97 mobo. I have done multiple builds with MSI on Haswell all turn out very well, i personally like a lot how MSI did their BIOS fan control, you can check my signature or more recent i did a build on H97 Gaming 3 that its very similar to yours, so i would suggest the following,

1) Plug your CPU fan to the CPU_FAN1 motherboard header
2) Plug your R5 case fans to SYS_FAN 1,2,3 motherboard header (whatever is closer to them or allows better cable management).
3) Enter the Bios go into HARDWARE MONITOR, you will the the following

This would be the fan on your Coolermaster 212, not sure what % pwm the coolermaster fan reaches, but you can start playing (move the breaking points, dots in color)

The click on the SYSTEM_FAN (on the screen on the bios, the ones that display rpms), lower the first breakpoint to 40 or 50%, and if you want move the other breakpoints as you please,

4) Now save your settings on the bios and reboot, enter windows and download HWMonitor or whatever you use to monitor your temps and fan rpms (i dont like MSI app for this). Run prime95 or whatever you use to stress test, monitor temps and rpms, and specially the noise levels, if you didnt like anything reboot and enter the bios and change the breakpoints to your likings, repeat this until you find the combinations of rpms and temps you like.

Optional, move the back fan to the front and buy an extra fan for the back, Antec True Quiet 140 and Noctua NF-P14 Redux 900rpm are what i would recommend, i like 2 fans in and 1 fan out to have positive pressure and avoid dust entering on vents or PCIe slots due to negative pressure. Remove the HDD cages you are not using to help airflow.

If you have questions about what i posted let me know.

Good Luck,