It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am
Posts: 46
Hi,
I am looking for the smallest case I can fit this stuff into:

i3-6100 with boxed cooler
ATX PSU
1xSSD, 1xHDD, 1xODD (can be a slim one)
no dedicated graphic card.

I have checked out a lot of cases but it seems that most waste a lot of space for a dual slot graphic card which I won't use.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:29 am
Posts: 661
Location: de_DE
Lian Li PC Q07?
If you don't already own the components a NUC5 in a Akasa Max S with a 2.5" HDD is better for silence and small size.

_________________
Lian Li V600, Asus P77Z-M Pro, i5-3570K 4.4GHz with Scythe Orochi, 140mm Slipstream 500RPM and Mugen2 115X Bolt through kit, Evga GTX 970 Superclocked, BeQuiet E9 580W CM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am
Posts: 46
NUC is too expensive for the performance that I get out of it. I alrdy saw the Lian Li and kinda like it. Maybe I'll wait for the new Corsair SFX PSU and see if they are silent then I could go for some non ATX PSU cases.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Posts: 2269
Location: Northern California.
Souli wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for the smallest case I can fit this stuff into:

i3-6100 with boxed cooler
ATX PSU
1xSSD, 1xHDD, 1xODD (can be a slim one)
no dedicated graphic card.

I have checked out a lot of cases but it seems that most waste a lot of space for a dual slot graphic card which I won't use.

I assume you already have the PSU and are stuck with that formfactor?

coolermaster 110 comes to mind as a decent, smallish case with room for full size PSU.

_________________
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1612
Location: UK
I'm not sure I see the point of an ATX PSU for a low power build like this. If making it small really is everything then trying to fit in an ATX PSU makes things much larger. A PicoPSU would work fine for the low power components you are talking about.

What SSD do you intend to use? If small size is really important then go for M.2.

What HDD do you intend to use and for what? Does it need to be 3.5"? Does it even need to be there at all? It will limit the choice of small cases available.

Do you really need an optical disk drive all of the time? If not, get a USB optical drive and share it between different systems that you might have allowing you to get rid of all optical drives.

By the way, the stock cooler on the i3 won't be that quiet. If you want something quieter there are a lot of options but this again may depend upon your choice of case.

_________________
Raijintek Metis: i5-6400, Scythe Ninja 4, Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, 8Gb RAM, GTX 950, Crucial 250Gb M.2, Seasonic X-400


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Posts: 3540
Location: Guatemala
Souli wrote:
NUC is too expensive for the performance that I get out of it.
I would suggest to drop the i3 6100 in favor of an Pentium G4500, comes with the same iGPU.

If you want small, consider the Antec 110, the only bad thing is no usb3 for the front, but for me its not a big deal. You can have two 2.5 hdds or ssds, its a pretty small for what you can pack on it, and to me its very cheap considering you also get the PSU. For optical go external.

_________________
GameMi - Intel i9 9900K + Gigabyte Z390 AM + Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | MiniMi - Intel i7 8700K + ASRock Z370ITX + MSI RTX2080Ti
StreaMi - Intel i9 7940X + AsRock X299 Taichi + Asus GTX1080Ti Strix | WorkMi - AMD 1950X + AsRock X399 Taichi + MSI GTX1080
ServeMi - Intel Xeon E3-1230 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + 144TB | StoreMi - Intel Xeon E3 1240v5 + Supermicro X11SSM-F + 42TB | CamMi - Intel i7 4770K + MSI H81i + Blue Iris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:44 am
Posts: 46
edh wrote:
I'm not sure I see the point of an ATX PSU for a low power build like this. If making it small really is everything then trying to fit in an ATX PSU makes things much larger. A PicoPSU would work fine for the low power components you are talking about.

What SSD do you intend to use? If small size is really important then go for M.2.

What HDD do you intend to use and for what? Does it need to be 3.5"? Does it even need to be there at all? It will limit the choice of small cases available.

Do you really need an optical disk drive all of the time? If not, get a USB optical drive and share it between different systems that you might have allowing you to get rid of all optical drives.

By the way, the stock cooler on the i3 won't be that quiet. If you want something quieter there are a lot of options but this again may depend upon your choice of case.


I wouldn't build a pc like that but the computer is not for me but for my dad. He doesn't want to spend much so I have to reuse some of the parts. At the same time he only needs the i3 so I'm trying to find a small case to save as much space as possible. Can't get myself to build a full ATX tower which only has a cpu in it :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 5275
Location: ITALY
That Raijintek Metis used by edh? Relatively "cheap" and kinda small.

_________________
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group