SPCR
http://silentpcreview.com/forums/

Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card)
http://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69029
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Souli [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:48 am ]
Post subject:  Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card)

Hi,
I am looking for the smallest case I can fit this stuff into:

i3-6100 with boxed cooler
ATX PSU
1xSSD, 1xHDD, 1xODD (can be a slim one)
no dedicated graphic card.

I have checked out a lot of cases but it seems that most waste a lot of space for a dual slot graphic card which I won't use.

Author:  boost [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

Lian Li PC Q07?
If you don't already own the components a NUC5 in a Akasa Max S with a 2.5" HDD is better for silence and small size.

Author:  Souli [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

NUC is too expensive for the performance that I get out of it. I alrdy saw the Lian Li and kinda like it. Maybe I'll wait for the new Corsair SFX PSU and see if they are silent then I could go for some non ATX PSU cases.

Author:  xan_user [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

Souli wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for the smallest case I can fit this stuff into:

i3-6100 with boxed cooler
ATX PSU
1xSSD, 1xHDD, 1xODD (can be a slim one)
no dedicated graphic card.

I have checked out a lot of cases but it seems that most waste a lot of space for a dual slot graphic card which I won't use.

I assume you already have the PSU and are stuck with that formfactor?

coolermaster 110 comes to mind as a decent, smallish case with room for full size PSU.

Author:  edh [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

I'm not sure I see the point of an ATX PSU for a low power build like this. If making it small really is everything then trying to fit in an ATX PSU makes things much larger. A PicoPSU would work fine for the low power components you are talking about.

What SSD do you intend to use? If small size is really important then go for M.2.

What HDD do you intend to use and for what? Does it need to be 3.5"? Does it even need to be there at all? It will limit the choice of small cases available.

Do you really need an optical disk drive all of the time? If not, get a USB optical drive and share it between different systems that you might have allowing you to get rid of all optical drives.

By the way, the stock cooler on the i3 won't be that quiet. If you want something quieter there are a lot of options but this again may depend upon your choice of case.

Author:  Abula [ Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

Souli wrote:
NUC is too expensive for the performance that I get out of it.
I would suggest to drop the i3 6100 in favor of an Pentium G4500, comes with the same iGPU.

If you want small, consider the Antec 110, the only bad thing is no usb3 for the front, but for me its not a big deal. You can have two 2.5 hdds or ssds, its a pretty small for what you can pack on it, and to me its very cheap considering you also get the PSU. For optical go external.

Author:  Souli [ Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

edh wrote:
I'm not sure I see the point of an ATX PSU for a low power build like this. If making it small really is everything then trying to fit in an ATX PSU makes things much larger. A PicoPSU would work fine for the low power components you are talking about.

What SSD do you intend to use? If small size is really important then go for M.2.

What HDD do you intend to use and for what? Does it need to be 3.5"? Does it even need to be there at all? It will limit the choice of small cases available.

Do you really need an optical disk drive all of the time? If not, get a USB optical drive and share it between different systems that you might have allowing you to get rid of all optical drives.

By the way, the stock cooler on the i3 won't be that quiet. If you want something quieter there are a lot of options but this again may depend upon your choice of case.


I wouldn't build a pc like that but the computer is not for me but for my dad. He doesn't want to spend much so I have to reuse some of the parts. At the same time he only needs the i3 so I'm trying to find a small case to save as much space as possible. Can't get myself to build a full ATX tower which only has a cpu in it :lol:

Author:  quest_for_silence [ Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Smallest ITX Case for this setup (without a graphic card

That Raijintek Metis used by edh? Relatively "cheap" and kinda small.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/