More or less space between fan and case walls?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

silentbobbo

More or less space between fan and case walls?

Post by silentbobbo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:16 am

I am building a tiny computer. The case could be a small 14x14 cm box. I have the chance to use a square 14cm fan as the rear wall of the case. But I fear that the air being pulled out of the case could make the walls vibrate if they are too near. Maybe this is a non-issue given that will use wood as the case material.

Is it a good idea to have walls attached to the fan? Or should I make the case bigger (let's say 16x16) so that there is a bit of space around the fan?

edh

Re: More or less space between fan and case walls?

Post by edh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:48 am

140mm square would be best as it will reduce turbulent airflow as much as possible. You want a single body of laminar airflow all moving in one direction through the case. What is your overall system design looking like? I assume if it's 140mm cubed that you are using something much smaller than MiniITX.

silentbobbo

Post by silentbobbo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:36 am

edh wrote:140mm square would be best as it will reduce turbulent airflow as much as possible.
So you are suggesting that no space between the border of the fan and the walls of the case is what reduces turbulences in the airflow. Good, I'll design the case with that in mind.
edh wrote:What is your overall system design looking like? I assume if it's 140mm cubed that you are using something much smaller than MiniITX.
You assumed correctly. It is a 14 cm cube. The board will be a slightly modified MinnowBoard Max. I will move connectors around to make it as flat as possible. This, combined with the low dissipation of the board should make for a very quiet PC. And let's not forget the pleasure of DIY. ;)

edh

Post by edh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:43 am

The MinnowBoard Max has a TDP of 12.5W from what I've seen. What other components are you using? That kind of TDP would suggest fanless cooling would be more suitable. Any reason for a fan as large as 140mm?